Chapter 3: did you pee?

Driving through this lost city, I saw first hand what was being shown on the news, I don't see something better than what they are showing and I don't see anything worse, some people are in tears crying over lit candles that battle against the wind, flickering and disappearing in the light of day. I could see others celebrating their heroes, and I could see our heroes, not people with powers or magic, they don't have superhuman strength. They were working restlessly to move any wreckage, the fire departments, the police, in places I could see people in army uniforms. Heroes in their own rights. I'm happy that the Avengers are here, really I am, it's just I fear that people like the emergency services will be kinda forgotten, people won't feel that the cops can keep us keep as safe as the Avengers can, and I suppose my heart breaks at that. My dad served in the army. That could be why.

We arrived at the building where I used to work, so many memories, it isn't a flashy building, it isn't much to look at, purposely dull I think, as not to draw attention to itself. I could see other black cars as we pulled into a parking space. One of the men opened my door for me and stood behind it, not making eye contact with me. I was obviously nervous because my senses had increased, I could hear my high heel touch the ground, I began to feel dizzy and I leaned on the car for support. Why was I nervous? Because I was coming back to this place again after such a long time? Because I was about to interview a man that has caused so much pain? Because there's a chance this man could kill me?

Once I regained my balance I followed the two men into the building. First thing you always see in a S.H.I.E.L.D building is an ordinary looking work office, with dinky computers and people sitting and typing away while talking into a bluetooth ear pierce. It seemed like any other office building, but once you take that 'employee' elevator up, the appearance changes.

High tech gadgets and people wearing S.H.I.E.L.D agent uniforms, they had the local news up on a large screen. People walking around with clip boards that gave them a certain authority, little dials, blinky lights, the works. It hadn't changed much.

The first person I really recognised was the director of S.H.I.E.L.D, a large coloured man with a black eyepatch across one eye, a long black coat and outfit, and his bald head made him kind of intimidating. When he saw me, he headed over to me with his hand out for me to shake "I trust they explained the situation to you fully"

"They did"

"Well just so we're clear, Loki will be in cuffs, so he can't hurt you" he read me like a book, I nodded and looked around for where I would be sitting for the next couple of hours, he saw my curiosity and dismissed my escorts "shall we?"

I nodded again and he lead me further into the building. Some faces lit up when they saw me and gave me a 'hello' wave, some were new and I didn't recognise them. "How long will I be in there for?"

"Didn't they tell you? You can stay as long as you like, you can stay until he leaves if you like, which will require you to stay overnight" he looked at me with a humours look on his face "I hope you peed"

"Sorry?"

"Once you're in there we have to lock the room for obvious reasons, once you come out you can't go back in, water will be in there and I personally ordered some bourbons for you"

"Thanks" I had known Fury for a longtime and it was nice that he was the one to give me the proper walk through. We arrived at a room with no sign on the door, just plain black with like 50 bolts and locks on it. I know there must be some secret high tech thing hidden around, or in, the door, but it appeared almost ordinary.

Fury turned to me with one hand on the the door handle "you can ask him anything you like, but try not to get him agitated, we don't want him making a mess" I nodded again and he opened the door for me. What was it letting myself into?