.3.

KINGDOM

Vida stood still, in the same spot looking at Marco. His eyes frozen in horror and a single gunshot wound to the head.

"If the rest of you fuckers don't want to die, I suggest you tuck your shit in your pants and get out." The voice she heard was challenging, demanding, and rough. She turned her head around and looked to the door where the voice had come from. After all the scared men had cleared out of her line of vision, LaVida was able to see her savior.

There in the doorway stood an average height man. His muscles escaping out of the white beater he had on and his black jeans hugged him tighter than a condom.

He held a gun with a silencer on it and a smug smile on his face.

"You have got to be Vida. There's not another broad in this motherfucker that looks like you." Vida didn't speak, only furrowed her eyebrows and stared.

"Well come on," the stranger said as he waved the gun. Vida flinched and the man gave her a quizzical expression. He then looked down at the gun and gave her a genuine smile. "My bad." The gun was then tucked into the back of his jeans and he motioned her over with his hand.

Vida walked over to the man and he quickly grabbed her. There was nothing sexual or inappropriate by his actions and that surprised her to no end.

"Do you have clothes?" Vida only nodded but she didn't want to take any of them. Instead she walked away from the stranger long enough to run up the stairs and grab a long sundress. She threw it on with a pair of flats and made her way back down the stairs. To her surprise Lola was talking to the man, and before Vida could question anything, the two of them exchanged a heated conversation. When Lola finally pulled away, she looked at Vida with a look of sorrow.

"You free. Go, be happy." Vida just stared in shock.

"Thank you, Lola," the stranger said before pulling Vida with him out of the front doors of the mansion.

It was a warm summer night and Vida inhaled the scent of freshly cut grass. She never really went outside. Too ashamed about who she was and feeling as though the heavens could see her too clearly when she stood outdoors.

"I'm Trent." Vida turned to look at the man holding her hand. She gave him a confused look and continued to stare. Realization slowly crept in and she smiled and nodded. She watched Trent's face morph to a look of confusion.

"Are you mute?"

"No." Vida smiled at him and Trent smiled back. A horn honked and seconds later a Lexus pulled up to the front door.

"Well, here's your ride," Trent said and Vida instantly panicked when she felt his hand slipping from hers. She watched as Trent looked down at their hands and back at her face.

"No worries sweet pea. The man that you want sits behind the stirring wheel of that car." His finger pointed to the Lexus and Vida eyed it warily.

Trust was something Vida lost a long time ago. The only reason she had been so friendly with Trent was due to him saving her from being forcibly raped and killed her pimp—freeing her and lots of other women too. The windows were too tinted, and Vida couldn't see inside. Everything screamed for her to not let go of Trent.

"Please," she begged as she looked at the man who stood eye level to her. Trent rubbed a large hand down his face and sighed.

"Motherfucker is gonna kill me," he mumbled and Vida couldn't help but giggle. She didn't know why but watching his turmoil made her smile. Trent released her hand and walked to the driver's side of the car. The sound of a window rolling down was faint but enough for Vida to hear. Hushed aggressive whispers followed and Vida just stood with her arms crossed, looking at the clear night sky. It was beautiful and the full moon illuminated the sky giving it a dark blue hue.

The sound of screeching tires against concrete brought Vida back to reality. She looked at the Lexus as it sped down the circle driveway and out of the gates. Trent was rubbing the back of his neck and looked as pale as a ghost. He held his hand out after a few moments and Vida walked forward and grabbed it. They walked in silence down the driveway and out of the gates. Once outside the gates, Trent led her to a large truck. If Vida didn't know any better she would have called it a mini monster truck.

Trent walked her to the passenger side, opened the door, and hoisted her up by her ass. Vida laughed when she heard him groan and when she sat down in the seat and looked at him, Trent just glared.

"Boss is gonna have his hands full with you," Trent said to her as he climbed into the driver seat of the large vehicle.

He started the truck up and headed away from the mansion. Vida smiled and flipped off the house as they drove away, and for the first time in a long time she felt free.

"Why don't you talk?"

"Not everyone deserves my voice. Not everyone deserves my intellect. I choose who I share my intelligence with."

Vida smiled when she saw Trent's mouth slack slightly, and his eyes go wide.

"Hot damn girl, you sound like some shit out of a book."

"I'm afraid I don't understand," Vida countered. "I like to think I sound normal."

"Nah, you don't." Vida shrugged her shoulder and looked out of the window. Then it hit her.

"Where are you taking me?" Trent looked over at the with a large grin that touched his ears, but no warning sirens went off in her head.

"Well babe, I'm taking you to your kingdom."