Chapter 02

Chapter 02

Val sensed Judy’s presence and went to open the main door. “Welcome home, my lady.”

“Thanks Val,” Judy replied as she walked into the house. Sensing that her grandmother was not home, she inquired. “Where’s granny?”

Val took hold of the coat as Judy handed it over to him. “Mrs. Torres went to pay the Denver’s family a visit,” he answered, folding the coat neatly in half and placing it on his arm.

Judy raised an eyebrow at him. “She seems to have gotten really close with the Denver’s family recently. Last I’ve met them, I was four. And that was like two hundred years ago.”

“Yes, you remember them.” Val smiled. “They moved back here four days ago, and so Mrs. Torres thought she should have a good catch up with them.”

“That’s nice. Maybe I should go with her-” Her sentence broke off when Val suddenly drew his face close to hers. “What are you doing?” she asked anxiously.

“You’ve been at it again,” Val said with a frown, startling Judy.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Judy played dumb. “I was having dinner with my friends. I head home straight after.”

“Then what’s that on your face?” Val asked. “Tomato ketchup?”

Judy dared not answer his question and swallowed hard.

“Since you’re not telling, I’ll find it out myself,” Val said, and before Judy could stop him, he licked her on the left cheek. He pursed his lips after and grimaced.

She held her breath and bit her lips.

“You went to hunt,” he finally said.

“No!” Judy exclaimed. “You know I don’t like hunting.”

Then his eyes narrowed. “Not humans.”

Judy sighed in resignation and prepared for the lecture.

“We agreed on this Judy,” Val reminded her in a stern tone. “Those creatures are dangerous. They’re unpredictable and they move a lot faster than you do. Facing them alone, you’re just asking to be eaten. Oh and, bear in mind, they won’t even think twice on killing you.”

“I know…” Judy began to feel bad about it, knowing that she had made Val felt worry about her. “It’s just that the young woman… she looked like Rena.”

Val finally understood then. “Did you get hurt?” he asked. His tone was softer again.

Judy shook her head.

“Is he dead?”

She looked up at Val and then averted her eyes from his before nodding once.

Val patted on her head. “That’s my lady. Now go take your bath and sleep early. I’ll make you hot milk with honey.”

Judy looked back at Val and smiled. “Thanks, Val.”

***

Judy dipped into the steaming hot bath with lavender oil scent Val had prepared for her. It felt nice and relaxing as she inhaled the sweet floral scent.

A moment later, she heard Val entering her room and placed a glass on the bedside table.

“It’s been 91 years…” Judy recalled. “She was nine when she got killed.”

“And the one today ended the same way as that 91 years ago,” Val said, and Judy smiled a small smile.

“If it wasn’t you, I probably won’t be here either,” Judy admitted. When Val gave no response, Judy asked, “Val, you got turned too right? Then you were left alone. How did you control that beast inside of you?”