Chapter 1 - welcome to my world

This story is dedicated to my friends and family. Averox and manirox, I love you guys!

==========================================================================

Chapter 1

"Hey Olivia Check this out!" my brother, Matt, calls. I take a bite out of my waffle and turn to look at him. His finger points right at an unmade bag of popcorn. It puffs up and pops away.

"Matt! Can you please keep it under control? Just for one morning?" my mom asks, lightly stepping into the room, like a ballerina, effortless. She leaves again. I sigh.

My mother is perfect. She was born perfect. The first time our family went ice-skating, I stumbled, tripped, fell on my bottom, but my mother glided gracefully, as if she'd been practicing ice-skating for the past ten years. So there we were, my dad, Matt, and my sister, Georgia, stumbling in every way, crashing into each other, while my mom swiftly skated, doing tricks every now and then. But my mom had a rare power. 

Unheard of.

She could make others perfect. But if she did that to someone who had just discovered their power, or someone who were still developing theirs, their power would completely stop developing, along with their body. Scary, really. It also took days, sometimes even weeks, for it to work.

"You're late," a voice says, inside my head.

"I know," I reply in my head.

I smile at her from across the table.

Georgia. Georgia was something else, you would think she was a normal eighteen year old, but she has the ability to read your thoughts, and communicate to you. So if Georgia read Matt's mind, if she wanted to, she could have a private conversation in her head with him. It was an ability I envied. She was made perfect by my mom. Georgia discovered her powers when she was sixteen, and convinced mom to change her some months later.

To be truthful, I never knew what to think of it. She's stuck as a 16 year old forever. Although to be fair, she's always looked older. I never knew what to think of mom changing her. She wouldn't get to watch Georgia get older. Wouldn't she want that? I suppose she justified it because Georgia can't ever get hurt now.

Georgia is the oldest. Matt is turning seventeen in a couple months. I am fifteen, turning sixteen in a week.

A week.

My palms sweat just thinking about it. My heart pounds harder. Sixteen. At sixteen, everyone in my family got their powers. I probably will too.

Suddenly, my mom races into the room at an inhuman speed, carrying a large laundry basket with ease and hands me my lunch, and becomes a blur again, yelling "bye" over her shoulder. I toss it into my backpack and hurry out of the house. 

It's a warm May day, practically cloudless. A light breeze caresses my face as I walk.

I start sprinting, glancing at my watch. I reach Sharon's doorstep and press my finger on the cool surface of the bell button.  Eventually the door opens and her mom greets me with a warm smile. "Sharon will be down in a minute," she informs me. "You can wait inside if you like." 

"Thanks," I say jogging in, closing the door behind me. A sweet, tempting smell fills the air as I put my bag down. It seems to be coming from the kitchen. Mrs. Greene waves me over. 

"I just baked some cookies, if you want some," she grins, her pearly white teeth gleaming. 

"Alright," I say, walking over to the kitchen. I stand in the doorway.