Chapter 3

“Alright, get mingling. I’ll come find you in a little.” I pushed Savannah off to the right and watched as she teetered over to a couple girls from the squad dancing with some boys. I observed the party before heading straight towards the kitchen, looking for a particular boy. He unfortunately wasn’t in the kitchen either; he was never where i wanted him to be. Damn. I waltzed over to the keg and started to tap it to get some of the alcohol inside but it was nearly impossible.

“Kelsey.” A pair of hands grabbed the tap and it came flowing into my cup. I smiled and looked up to thank the person when I came face to face with Noah. He gave me a small smile, clearly disappointed in the fact I was drinking alcohol.

“This is just for a friend.” I lifted the cup and placed it on the counter. “I don’t drink.” I can’t believe I just said that.

“Good, alcohol is just gross.” He crinkled his nose in disgust, looking around at all the people doing it.

Wow, this guy was actually pretty annoying. He doesn’t drink or have sex? That’s definitely not normal. “Yeah.” I suddenly regretted making this bet, this guy was not fun.

“Want to go outside and get some fresh air?”

“Uhm, okay.” I nodded and followed him to the back yard where he sat down by the edge of his pool. I shoved my hands in my pockets and sat down next to him. It was a lot colder out here than I had anticipated. I shivered as the wind blew and immediately following, Noah placed his jacket around my shoulders. “Thanks.” I smiled graciously and everything went quiet. Neither of us was saying a word, but the silence was nice. It was very refreshing.

“So tell me about you.” Breaking the silence, he looked over at me waiting for an answer.

“Well I’m 17, a junior, and on the cheerleading squad. I’m awful at chemistry and good at Pre-calc. I have no siblings and my best friend is Eva.”

He chuckled and shook his head, “No, that stuff is obvious. Tell me something no one knows.”

For some reason, looking into his brown eyes made me feel safe. So I told him everything about my family. Not even missing a beat. “Well my dad’s cheating on my mom with a woman he met in Arizona, she’s 22. Meanwhile my mom’s an alcoholic who spends all of her free time passed on the couch.”

His eyes didn’t leave mine as I talked, and his hand reached over to squeeze mine.

"Damn, I barely even know you and I just loaded you with all my problems.”

“Well I want to get to know you.” He held on tighter to my hand and flashed me a toothy smile. God, I couldn’t get over how good looking he was. This was going to be so easy. I was about to get him into bed right at this party. I leaned forward, ready to start the process, but right as I got close enough to touch he turned his head and cleared his throat.

Well that was embarrassing. “Excuse me.” I lifted myself off the ground and rushed into the house. Him rejecting my flirting was one thing, but a kiss was a million times worse. That had never happen to me before and I definitely did not like it. It just made me clench my fists and get even more determined. I ran up the stairs and to the bathroom, slamming the door behind me.

I turned on the sink and flushed my face with the cold water, patting it dry with a towel. I looked up into the mirror, “Get a hold of yourself Kels.” What was I doing? This wasn’t me; I don’t let stuff like that embarrass me. That just means I try harder. I fluffed out my hair and fixed my top, ready to get back out there. I took one last deep breath before pulling open the door and heading down the long hallway. I didn’t make it far when my hand was grabbed and the next thing I knew I was against a door in a dark room.