THIRTY THREE: REAL LIFE

ava was pacing round her and joe's house, breathing deeply to avoid spiralling. she had stepped out of the shower earlier and caught a glimpse of her body as she changed — she had a bump.

albeit small, but it was there. enough for joe to notice.

she cursed under her breath, she could no longer hide this from joe, and she was finally coming to the realisation that she really was pregnant.

she knew she could do it, with or without joe, if worst came to worst. she had the best friends in the world and the best dad, too.

but the lack of motherly figure in her own life made her feel sick.

she'd always thought she was better than her mother. stronger than her. but what if — maybe, just maybe, they were more alike than she'd thought?

maybe she'd want to run off, leaving a sixteen year old, unaware of who she really was to grow up on her own; like her own mother did.

ava pushed the negative thoughts of her own toxic relationship to the back of the mind; flooding her eyes and her mind constantly.

the memories; the holidays, the birthdays and the movie nights were what she wanted to remember. but she couldn't, no matter how hard she tried.

she remembered the arguments, the shameful comments about her bisexuality, mocking of her intelligence, the lack of a mother.

ava felt herself sit on the ground, unaware of what was really happening around her. she picked up her phone, dialling the first number she saw.

"hello?" the voice spoke, deep and muffled by others in the background. "ben?" she spoke, tears flowing down her face. but she couldn't feel it.

"yeah, i'm here. are you okay?" ava choked out a sob, "w-where's joe?"

"he's on his way, he left about fifteen minutes ago. are you really okay?" she breathed gently, he was nearly home.

"ben, i'm pregnant." she spoke quietly, "ava, really? holy-"

"i'm scared, ben. what if he leaves? w-what if i'm a terrible mother? what if-i can't do this, ben."

"ava, this is joe, the same joe who is head over heels in love with you. he wouldn't leave you if you tried. and you're gonna be a great mother, you're basically my second."

"ben you're older than me."

"shush, mom."

"t-thanks ben, thank you." she said, letting out a small laugh. "it's okay ava, i got you. it's gonna be okay."

the sound of an engine outside startled the small girl, exchanging a small "bye." as she hung up.

ava braced herself, comforted by ben's words. she was gonna be okay.

"hey babe! how was your d-ava what happened?" joe exclaimed, rushing over to the girl still sat on the floor next to the sofa.

"i-i was thinking about my mom." she said quietly, not really wanting to admit it, "it just upset me is all. i spoke to ben though so i feel better."

"why didn't you call me, sweetheart?" he said, playing with her hair softly. "you were driving."

"that's no excuse, ava. you always call me when i'm
driving. what's really wrong? why were you thinking about your mom?"

"j-joe, i just-look. i love you so much. you know that right?"

"ava...please don't tell me you're doing what i think you're doing." she went to speak again, but stutter out a "w-what?"

"you're not breaking up with me are you?" he said, looking the girl dead in the eye. "n-no joe, of course i'm not."

"i love you too ava. what is it?"

"joe, i'm pregnant."

he choked slightly, "y-you're pregnant?" he said quietly, "yeah. i am. i found out a couple weeks ago. i'm
eight weeks today."

"we're having a baby?" he said, his eyes gleaming with pride. "we are." she said, a smile finally gracing her lips.

"holy shit, ava. we're gonna be parents." he whisper the last word, pulling the girl to her feet.

"who would've thought it, huh?" she laughed as he wrapped his arms around her. "oh my god ava; we're gonna have a baby."

"uh, joe, i've been thinking about something but i need you to promise you won't
be mad at me."

"i could never be mad at you, sweet girl." he said, kissing her forehead. "i wanna see my mom. one last time, i wanna get some things off my chest...for my own good."

"i may not like the woman, but if that's gonna make you feel better, then that's what we'll do."

a/n:
we 👏🏼 love 👏🏼 a 👏🏼 happy 👏🏼 supportive 👏🏼 couple 👏🏼
also yes, ava's my bisexual legend and we will love and protect her in this house.
sorry for the long gaps in updates, i'm going through a lot at school but i love you all so much

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.