Epilogue

Almost a year had gone by. Mitch was again sitting by Kate's bed as she lay in a coma. His eyes were red, and his face, unshaven.

"Mitch?" asked Dave Holland. "How's Kate going?"

Mitch just shrugged his shoulders. "What do you want, Dave?"

"Okay then. It was always like you to get straight to business. Look, you know I'm past my retirement date in the force, but they wanted to send a familiar face."

"Who?"

"The commissioner. There have been a lot of changes this past year, Mitch. Hundreds of criminals have been arrested; half of them former cops. It seems like the only loose end is Rick Daniels. You wouldn't know about his whereabouts would you, Mitch?"

Mitch shook his head in reply.

"No, didn't think you would. Anyway, the commissioner wants someone to head up the new recruits, show them how the police should do it in real life. Someone has to replace me, Mitch. They want you to be Chief Superintendent."

Mitch just sat silently, facing Kate.

"Well, I told them that you were still dealing with important family business. They understand, and he wanted you to know that when you're ready, the job is yours."

"Tell him, I appreciate the offer, but no thanks."

Dave turned around and headed out. Stopping at the door, he turned and flung his badge onto Mitch's lap. "Keep it, Mitch; in case some oppressive criminal changes your mind one day."