Chapter 4

Entering the Police CO Building on Elizabeth St, Mitch went through the main doors that opened up into the main police station. A row of people were sitting on uncomfortable plastic chairs, waiting for the balding officer at the reception bench. The bench seemed a bit high. Maybe they had built it that way to make whoever was approaching feel intimidated.

Turning to his left, Mitch entered a side door that was for staff only. Coming through the door, Mitch viewed the normal chaos of the station. Most of the staff from the other levels would take the lift to their floors, but Mitch liked to walk through the station and take the stairs from the other side. It was amazing how many fragments of information he would pick up along the way. Thieves and drug dealers getting interviewed, trying to tell their wild stories of who was really at fault. Behind the wall on the far right was a row of temporary holding cells. Drunk and disorderly citizens would often find themselves on the other side of the round white metal bars. The drunken ones were merry enough in the evening, but were soon lamenting their decisions in the morning. It was always entertaining to watch when their wives came to pick them up in the morning.

Mitch went to one of the small interview rooms and knocked on the door. Brandon opened the door and gestured for Mitch to enter. Mitch was about to ask how the interview was going, but the vision of the murder victim's boyfriend seated at a bare table said enough. Very anxious, with tears in his eyes, it didn't take Mitch long to figure out whether this guy was involved or not. He didn't have to get involved, but watched Brandon finish the interview anyway. Always polite, people would often open to Brandon during the interview process.

The boyfriend confessed that they had a fight, and then related how she had decided to go out to the basement club by herself. The confession was followed by an emotional plea of innocence. He really didn't have to though. Brandon wrapped up the interview and told him we would be in touch.

Mitch and Brandon started heading over to the stairs to make their way up to level two when they spotted Thomas talking with Kath Turner. His height brought his head in a straight line with Kath's ample cleavage. Being subtle was not Thomas strongest attribute.

"I have eyes Thomas!" was all they heard Kath shout at him as she pointed her fingers towards her face.

"Mitch!" Thomas called out, trying to find a quick escape from his situation.

"What on earth are you doing Thomas?" enquired Mitch with a smirk on his face.

Thomas shrugged his shoulders, "Oh well, it can't hurt to try. Maybe she'll go out with me one day."

Mitch began to take the first flight of stairs with Thomas beside him. "Sure Thomas, maybe you'll lose weight as well," he said in a sarcastic tone. Brandon snickered, putting his file folder up to his face to cover his mouth.

"I get it," responded Thomas. "Not everyone recognizes the skills I have. She'll come around, just you wait and see. Sometimes the best things take time." He said with an air of confidence.

"Yeah Thomas, you're the man."

By the third flight of stairs, Thomas was beginning to wish he had taken the lift. Level four was the corporate services level which included Tech Services, Training, Financial, HR, and public affairs. On level five were the big boy's offices. If you were making a trip to level five, it usually meant you had either done something seriously wrong, or absolutely right. 

For now though, they settled back at their desks on level two. As Brandon and Thomas filled out some more reports and called a few more potential leads, it seemed like this case was going nowhere, and yet, Mitch knew somehow that there was a lot more to be revealed. There was nothing special about the rope gear that had been purchased, no clear CCTV footage, and no witnesses.