17장

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Loving Donghyuck was easy.

Six months ago, Daera would have never thought that having a relationship that was as complicated and unorganised as hers and Donghyuck's was, could be called easy. But it was. None of the two teenagers was rushing things. They were fine with talking for hours on the phone or sending each other cute videos of what they were doing.

Daera always monitored NCT127's performances while her boyfriend was in America, living his dream and spending a great time with his Hyungs. She bought his individual cover of their Regulate album and set it up nicely in her room.

Everything was great until MC Ari told Daera during the dinner that Donghyuck had hurt his leg during practice and wouldn't be participating in any year-end-shows or other promotions NCT was going to have for the next few weeks. "He's at home with his family, until he's feeling better." Ari had said, not realising how the food was stuck in Darea's throat and how her eyes were filled to the brim with tears.

Donghyuck didn't tell her anything about being hurt and going home. Whenever they were texting or talking to each other on the phone, the same aged boy acted as if everything was alright and it hurt Darea, knowing he lied.

After her dinner with her uncle, she went into her bedroom and called Donghyuck, not wondering how he was able to answer her call immediately. He had plenty of time for calls and texts since he was resting at home. "Hi, Daera!" The boy said, sounding all smiles. "I was just thinking about you." He said and hearing his voice, made Daera cry.

"Daera-yah? Why are you crying? Jagi?" Donghyuck asked and Daera sniffed. "How dare you?" She asked and Donghyuck sighed. "Ari told you about my leg, didn't he?" He asked and Daera wiped her face. "Yes, he did!" She said, sounding defeated.

"You could tell me, Donghyuck!" She said. "I was afraid you would freak out," Donghyuck confessed and Daera sigh. "Of course I would freak out! My boyfriend hurt himself and I can't do anything against it." Daera sat down on her bed and played with her favourite Seulgi-slogan. 

It was quiet for a while. "Daera? Do you want to come and visit me?" Donghyuck asked all of a sudden and Daera lifted her head. "Visit you?" She asked. "Yes. My leg is still in a cast and I can't do much. I don't want to burden my Mum though..." He started. "I would be a lot happier if you would be here with me." - "Where are you living though? I have to recharge my T-Money card anyways..." - "Babe... I live in Jeju."

"J-Jeju?" Daera asked and heard Donghyuck hum. "You live on Jeju-do?" She repeated and Donghyuck nodded. "Yes, I do." Daera stood up and started walking through her room, over to her piggy bank. She saw some big notes of cash in there and sighed.

"I book a flight for next Monday." She said and heard Donghyuck cheer on the other side. "I can't wait to show you everything!" He smiled and then hung up because his Mum was calling for him, while Daera sat down on her desk and booked a flight to Jeju for herself.

― 💌 ―

Daera fixed her bucket hat and walked through the glass doors in the arrival hall of Jeju's airport. Donghyuck had texted her, earlier this day, that he and his Mother would pick her up from the airport. She bit her lip holding on to her carrier tightly when she heard someone call out her name.

"Daera! Choi Daera!" The voice called and then she saw her boyfriend walk through the crowd of people, with crutches, and the biggest smile she had ever seen him wear on his face. "Hyuck-ah!" She called and ran over to him, pulling her carrier behind her.

Donghyuck tightly held her in a bone-crushing hug and nuzzled his face into her neck. "I missed you, Daera!" He grinned and slowly let go of her to hold on to his crutches. "I missed you so much!" Daera said and wanted to lean in, to peck his lips, when she saw a woman in her peripheral vision that smiled down at her warmly.

"You must be Choi Daera, Donghyuck's girlfriend." The woman said in a warm voice and Daera bowed deeply. "Nice to meet you, Mrs Lee. I'm indeed Choi Daera." His Mother smiled at Daera's cute introduction. "Donghyuck told us a lot about you. We're glad to finally meet you."

Daera was taken aback by how warm Donghyuck's mother was. She was the complete opposite of her son, who was savage and feisty.

"Come on, Daera. Mum cooked something absolutely fantastic for lunch." He smiled and followed his Mum on his crutches, Daera never leaving his side.

Donghyuck wasn't lying when he said his Mother prepared something delicious for lunch. After Daera had unpacked her stuff in the guest room of the Lee's house, she had walked downstairs and helped Mrs Lee to set the table, while Donghyuck was resting in the living room, watching a cartoon on the television.

"You can join Donghyuck in the living room, Daera. You don't need to help me." Mrs Lee had said and Daera had nodded and walked into the living room, where Donghyuck was sitting, laughing about something the funny drawn cartoon character was saying.

He grinned brightly when Daera sat down next to him. "Wow, it feels kind of surreal that you're sitting here next to me." He smiled and grinned at Daera. "I can't believe I'm here either." The girl said and leaned her head on Donghyuck's shoulder. "How long are you off until you need to go back to work?" Daera asked and waited for Donghyuck's answer.

"I need to join NCT's concert in January but then I'll be off again." Donghyuck explained. "Until then I hope the cast is off as well. It's really uncomfortable." The boy sighed and Daera leaned in to peck his lips, once again, when Mrs Lee called the couple since lunch was ready.

Daera sighed, sad that she missed her chance in kissing Donghyuck again.