Chapter 2: Daggered

"EVERYBODY MAKES IT TILL THEY DONT"

¤¤¤

Damon's eyes widened. "Sister-in-law...as in..."

"Yes." Elijah replied, curling one hand around the edge of the coffin's lid and lifting it. "She is my brother's wife."

Damon spluttered. "W-wife...what on...you mean...Klaus?"

Elijah's lips turned up into a smirk. "Quite right. They were married before my mother turned us. She is a part of this family, though not by blood. My mother turned her as well, in the hopes that Niklaus would continue his eternal existence with the woman he loved so much. And that was exactly what he did. Their relationship is unlike any other. The love between them has simply grown stronger over the centuries. She is also perhaps the only one who can control him. He would do anything for her. With a single word from her, Niklaus would run to the ends of the earth to fulfill her needs. With a single wave of her hand, he would burn cities to the ground if she wished it."

"So...what you're saying is...she's also an Original?" Damon walked towards the coffin and stared down at the woman laying there in disbelief.

"Indeed."

Elijah quirked an eyebrow at Damon, who was at a loss for words as he inspected Audrea. He wasn't surprised. NiKlaus's wife was a beautiful woman. He lowered his gaze as well, examining her. She was still in the outfit that she had been wearing when Niklaus had daggered her. It was a plain white nightgown, but it only served to accentuate her beauty further. Her blonde hair spilled over her shoulders and chest, where a silver dagger was embedded.

"How come we've never even heard her name before?" Damon asked.

Elijah chuckled. "Well, you have never exactly heard ours until not long ago, correct? It makes sense you have never heard of her name before today. Niklaus is a possessive man. He has kept her name from ears all this time. Those who do know her name think of her only as a myth. After all, who would believe that the most feared being in all existence has a soft spot, or that he could be controlled with a single word uttered from her very lips? No, if people knew of her name, they would seek to use her as a weapon against him."

Damon asked curiously,

"So she's...what...she's his weakness?"

Elijah turned to cast Damon an amused glance. "I would not make that assumption if I were you. If anything, she is what gives him strength. She is partly why he is so feared today. Her love only makes him stronger. However, I will wake her because she is also our best chance at controlling Niklaus's...ways."

"If he loves her so much," Damon started. "Why is she lying here daggered in a box like the rest of you were?"

"What goes on between them is not for me to tell." Elijah said mysteriously. "Just know that if you cross her, you cross Niklaus, and if you cross Niklaus, you cross her. The two are inseparable. They love each other more than anything. Audrea may be the moral one of the marriage, but you would do well to remember that she is one of us, an Original. She is also Niklaus's wife, and even after all these centuries, she loves him still and will continue to remain by his side. That in itself makes her a force to be reckoned with."

"Come." Elijah finished. "We musn't delay any further or Niklaus will begin to suspect something."

With that, he reached down, pulled the dagger out, and flashed out of the room. Damon cast the fifth coffin in the room one last glance before following.