Chapter Two

Chapter Two: Eric

"So where do you want to start?" Eric asked after the waitress gave me the gin and tonic I ordered.

I took a sip as I thought. "Well, I already know how old you are... Where are you from?"

"I was born in Rome but was brought over to the US when I was five and was raised in New York."

That explained the slight accent. "Why did your parents choose the US?"

"My parents were offered a job in New York that they couldn't refuse."

"Do you miss Italy?" I definitely would. I hear Italy is gorgeous.

He shrugged. "I don't remember it at all so there's nothing to miss, in my mind anyway."

I nodded slowly. I understood that. I lived in Hawaii up until I was four when my parents decided to move back to California. I've seen pictures but don't remember being there since I was so young when we moved.

"Why'd you move here from New York?"

"School. I decided to go to Sac State instead of NYU."

"And you loved California so much you decided to stay?"

He smiled. "Yes. I convinced my parents to move out here with my little sister, too. Luckily the company they work for has a branch here. And," He said leaning forward, his eyes locked on mine. "It just got even better."

I blushed and glanced away, embarrassed. I doubt he really meant that... I cleared my throat. On to the random questions. "So what's your favorite color?"

He laughed and straightened his posture. "Blue."

"Favorite sport?"

"Football and soccer."

It was like that for the next hour; me asking him any question I could think of. Even as random as his favorite soda (Dr. Pepper). He answered all of them as best he could, just like he said. Then it was his turn to ask the questions.

Eric smiled. "What's your favorite color?"

I smiled back and shook my head. "Purple."

"Favorite animal?" His was deer.

"Lion. Mostly because I'm a Leo but also because they are the King, or queen, of the jungle."

"Where are you from?"

"Here," I said with a chuckle. "I've never really been outside California."

"What's your favorite city in California?"

"Oceanside," I said right away with a huge grin, remembering the last time I was there with Kendra and the girls.

 "Well, if your smile is anything to go on, Oceanside must be a great place to be."

I laughed at his expression, saying, "I was just remembering the last time I was there with my friends and my sisters. It was a lot of fun."

"I bet," he said returning my smile. "I like your smile. It's beautiful, like you."

My face turned bright red. I looked down at my drink. "Thanks." Still looking down I took a long drink of the gin and tonic, my bangs falling in my face.

He leaned forward and brushed my bangs off my face with his fingers before he cupped my face and tilted it up, forcing me to look at him. My eyes widened a little when I saw how close his face was to mine. "Why does that embarrass you?" he asked looking deep in my eyes, as if he could find the answers of the universe there.