Chapter One

Chapter One: The Club

                "Kendra!" I called as I threw laundry, blankets, and pillows over my shoulder. I sighed. Where are my keys? I need to get going.

                "Yes?" she said in a bored tone as she came through my bedroom door.

                I glanced up and just stared for a second. Kendra is my identical twin sister. While we have the same face, curvy body, and topped out at five foot six inches in height, we couldn't look more different.

                She was more preppy with her clothes where as I'm more tomboyish. Like now, she wore a white baby doll shirt over a lacy pink undershirt that hugged her curves with the hem hanging about two inches above the waistband of her mini skirt and ended her outfit with pink heels; her make-up and hair was perfect. I, on the other hand, am wearing a semi loose purple tank top with black skinny jeans and ended my outfit with a pair of purple high top Converse; my hair was slightly disheveled and no matter how hard I try, my eyeliner always ends up smudged at the corners.

                I chuckled and inwardly shook my head. "Do you know where my keys are? You drove the car last and I need to meet the girls at the club soon."

                She contemplated for a minute with a thoughtful expression on her face. "I gave them back to you. I remember because you were cooking my favorite meal for dinner when I walked in. I handed them right to-" she cut herself off and thought it through a few more seconds. "Wait. You're right, they're in my purse. Give me a minute." She turned on her heel and walked down back to her room only to return a few seconds later and tossed the keys to me.

                I caught them easily one-handed. "You know for a brunette you can be very blond."

               "Well, dear sister, even I'm not perfect," she said me with a wink. "And I have to keep you on your toes don't I?" With a flip of her hair she went back to finish getting ready for the date she had with Nathan, her boyfriend.

                There are times where I wish I was more like Kendra when it came to guys. I just don't have the confidence that she does; I feel like I always say the wrong thing or act awkward whenever I'm around guys. The cuter the guy the more awkward I act. That or guys are intimidated by a girl whose smarter than them. Oh, well. I'm not one of those girls that needs a guy to be happy.

                 I glanced at the clock on my nightstand. I should have been half way to the club by now, but I couldn't leave until Kendra did.

                 I walked the few steps down the hall that was between mine and her rooms. "Kennie?" She looked at my reflection in her mirror, not faltering in putting her lip gloss on. "When is Nathan coming to pick you up?"

                 Finished with applying the gloss she sighed and turned to face me. "Don't worry Kat. He'll be here in about five minutes. We're just going to dinner and the movies. We're not going to have sex." Leave it to Kendra to be blunt.

                 "Did anything related to your sex life come out of my mouth? I was just asking because I need to go. I'm already late." Not a total lie. I was waiting for her to go. But I didn't want them here alone, in our condo (compliments of Mom and Dad after they won the lottery a few years ago).

                  Mom wanted me to look out for Kendra even though we're the same age (I'm four minutes older); she trusts me more because I've always been the responsible one while Kennie's been the trouble maker (since birth). But I'm not naive, I know they're having sex; kind of hard not to know with her being a screamer. I don't think she knew I was home that night though.