Bite the Bullet Chp3

Start from the beginning

I was among them as well. A picture of Maya was in my hands. I remember the time it was taken, when I had returned home from my very first mission. She had been exceedingly joyful and had invited all my friends for dinner. The picture I held was from the very same night. She was smiling here, her long brown hair that cascaded down on her shoulders, matched her brown eyes. She resembled our mother a lot. I suppose that's why both I and the old man were so attached to her.

Troy had fallen asleep almost an hour ago. I glared at him when his snoring hit my ears and disturbed my tranquillity. His seat was right next to mine, a little too close. Other soldiers either endeavored to get some rest or converse in hushed voices. I swept my eyes at the guys who accompanied me on this perilous mission. These men and women in the troops were now my family my brothers. They were my responsibility to shield and I was theirs.

I attempted to disregard the idiot beside me. I don't even know why I put up with his shit. Sure he knows me too well. I assume, even better than I know myself, secrets that I hide in a cave he somehow manages to locate!

After a while, I rubbed my hand over my face and then rested my head on the headrest. A few prolonged moments later my eyelids were heavy and sleep overtook my form and I welcomed it with open arms.

~&~&

It wasn't going to do any good. Lamentably, my eyes would snap open every ten minutes, from anxiety, or dread. After about seven hours of constant torture and mental agony finally Lieutenant informed us that in five minutes the plane would land at the Air Base of Empana.

We were perturbed and frantic that we could die, but when we thought deeply about this situation. We were conceited to know that we would die for our families, friends, and our country. That we would die protecting someone, that we would fight till our last breath. The silence that had swelled in the aircraft had its own beauty as in that moment every soldier perceived why they were there. They were ready to face any obstacle in order to serve their country.

Soldiers rose to their feet, pride gleaming in their eyes. They wore their protections with many indescribable feelings that ran in their veins. They hung their rifles over their shoulders, all set. I looked at Troy, who stared at me with a smile on his lips.

"What?" I questioned, stood up to grab my Bullet-proof vest so I could fasten it around my chest. He copied my moves.

"Nothing," was all he uttered. I frowned at him but wasn't in a mood to inquire so I simply got back to work. It took me three minutes to wear my bullet-proof vest as everything had to be on place.

I thrust my fingers in the gloves, pulled at them then wore my pistol holster on my right leg. When that was done I carefully mounted my knife in its sheath on my left calf and took hold of the dump pouch which was full of magazines. I wrapped it around my waist, and let it dangle on my left side so it would be easy to grab a magazine when I was out of bullets.

My water canteen pouch and aid kit were ready and placed where they belonged. I sat on my chair again a little uncomfortable with the stuff I was wearing and wrapped the knee pad inserts on my knees and stood up, ready to go. At last, I glanced over my shoulder to see Troy was almost set.

Our plane at last landed and doors opened to allow fresh air along with yellow rays of the afternoon sunshine to seep into the plane. Troops got out of the plane in a line and soon were divided into four squads. Each squad was of twelve men along with their squad leaders. Zach, an extremely tall and bulky man, with black hair and a light goatee, stood in front of us. He, the leader of the squad, examined us.

"Soldiers get ready," yelled Lieutenant Hayden to all squad members over the loud chopping of 'The Black Hawks' which stood about fifty meters away. Soldiers marched up to them and slightly lowered their heads. I tightened my grip on my 'M16 assault Rifle" and followed them. With every step that I took my strength awakened even further.

**

Moments before we engaged in combat believe me it was not a nice feeling. You feel apprehensive, timorous, and distressed and at the same time, you feel blessed and divine that you were doing this for your people. You feel mighty, and your feelings escalate and fluctuate from one to another in a blink of an eye.

Every member went through different feelings, some burned with rage while others recalled the faces of their beloved ones. My ticker beat dangerously rapid and trashed against its cage but I kept a straight face. I had to keep a straight face. The days of dread will soon be over, but for now, right here, this moment my duty comes first even before my life. I shoved all my agitation into the depth of my heart and embraced courage. I embraced death.

Deserted land whizzed by us for a long time, but then we saw it, saw smoke that clouded the entire city. Bodies lay deceased and cold on the streets. People dashed away in order to hide for their lives. Guns blazed and huge blasts were heard.

The pilot to the right signaled that we have arrived and it was time to face the massacre. Thick, heavy ropes were thrown down from the chopper that hovered. It was time for us to descend.

With the help of fast-roping, Zach, our squad leader was the first to go down followed by Troy and three others. After a minute I followed them. They had already taken their positions, looking out for any sort of hazard as the others descended.

I drew my gun and stood behind Zach, ready to pull the trigger, ready to attack. Pure adrenaline, the rush of being challenged simmered in my blood. My pulse was fast and sweat drizzled down my forehead.

Once we were done with our positions and prepared to act. Black Hawk hovered high in the sky, indicating that it was time for us to move!

When Zach had signaled to move my squad proceeded forward gradually. I notice how immensely destroyed this place was. Buildings and shops were almost transformed into dust. The remaining of walls had holes in them, which clearly meant some heartless monsters none stop emptying their magazines here. There were demolished cars on the roads and dried blood all around us, the abhorrent smell almost suffocated me.

The squad kept walking past the ruined walls, with our weapons drawn. We endeavored to hear every sound, but none was heard other than the furious wind that swayed around us.

The afternoon sun scorched the ground and it felt like we have come to a place where there was no existence of human beings. Those demonic terrorists were the ones who caused this. If not much I will cherish annihilating those monsters who slaughter innocents.

Troy and I walked together. None of us had vocalized a word since we arrived here in this human-made hell hole.

"See this?" he jerked his chin to a burnt van.

"I don't understand those demons. Why would they do this? If they have some issues they could tackle them with the government why kill innocents?" I growled.

"That's what they do, man. That's what the monsters do," Troy replied, remorsefully.

Uncountable minutes had passed and we kept walking. Every time we turned a corner the squad would stand against a ruined wall to wait while Zach or some other member would lookout for any sort of peril that lurked in the shadows of the buildings. When everything was clear orders were given out to move again. At times like this, each man begins to feel that someone out there would aim at him ready to pull the trigger at any time. This is very nerve-wracking, to say the least!

We would hear guns blaze from far away but did not halt. Now and then the earth beneath our feet would tremble we still did not cease our movements. Residents ignored us with horrific looks on their faces. It tugged on a heart to see them in this desolated condition.

Our squad walked past a shop, which was burned to ashes, few soldiers stared at it with distress and revolt noticeable on their faces. It was then hell broke on us, we had little time to react, little time to see that a large number of people had us on their target.

That's when guns started to roar and bullets passed us!

______________________________________________________________

Damn a cliffhanger.....I love those.