Decisions

Liam slowly entered the bedroom and found the fawn colored wolf lying on the bed on her side. With a rustling of clothes, he also stripped and shifted, moving over to the other side of the bed to jump up and lie beside her. She watched him guardedly, though she felt herself relax with him so near.

I'm not ready, she said sadly. He could feel her stress and fears hidden just under the surface. You may think me a coward, but...I...I can't, not yet. I can't be your mate. I am clearly not Luna material as you can see. How could I lead a pack when I can't even make a decision for myself? But, if I don't choose, my dad will pay for it. 

She didn't know why she was talking out loud, well, in her head, but as a wolf he could hear it as though she was. Maybe it was because she was comfortable with his wolf.

I am not trying to break you, Seren. But I have been searching for you for years and I cannot let you walk away. Whether you know it or not, this pack needs you. 

I didn't ask for this!

He stared at her wordlessly.

I only wanted to be left alone, she said sadly.

It wasn't meant to be, he said. You were made to be with me, a part of my pack. Wolves are not meant to be be alone. As my mate, you must be here. That is why I gave you such an easy alternative to the Intiation. I am trying to make everything easy on you, Seren. If I had it my way, I would just mark you right now and be done with it. 

She put her head on her paws and stared out the window.

You do not want to be my mate that much? he asked. 

I only want to be left alone. I can't give you what you want.

He looked at her for a moment and then turned his head away. I will need your decision this evening. They sat in silence for a long time, even skipping lunch. Finally he slid off the bed and turned and said, Gillie would like to play with you.

She waited for him to dress and wait in the office before she followed suit.  

They said nothing to each other and did not make eye contact as he took her to the apartments where Gillie and her mother stayed. Seren knocked twice and the door flew open, Gillie dragging her inside. 

"Bye, Alpha!" she said, shutting the door.

The next few hours were the blissful escape from reality Seren had needed, Gillie making up voices for all of her tiny plastic animal toys, from rabbits and farm animals, to dinosaurs and sea creatures. Seren played dutifully along, helping her defeat the evil mastermind, Dr. T. Rex and save all the baby animals. 

"Are you and Alpha going to have a baby?" she asked suddenly.

Seren inhaled so sharply, she choked on her own spit and had a coughing fit before she could even consider answering. "I don't think that is in the plan, sweetheart."

"Why not? Alpha loves you. He screamed when he couldn't find you and didn't smile the whole time you were gone."

Seren rubbed her sweaty palms on her pants. She hadn't known that, but she guessed Liam had just been extremely angry. "What do you think of Alpha, is he good? Or is he bad like Dr. T. Rex?"

"He is good! He is the alpha. He makes sure everything is fair and everyone does their share," she rhymed. "Besides, he is my uncle. He makes sure my mom and I are okay."

"Y-your uncle?"

"My mom is his little sister!"

"Why isn't she the Luna?"