Unkillable

When Seren came to, she felt like she was made of rice paper. She felt weak and brittle, like she was just going to crumble- but that's what happens when you dream that your mate was on the verge of becoming a demon and hadn't wanted you before that. His screams were echoing in her ears, bellowing her name and snarling for Gloria to bring her to him, all as he snapped his sharp teeth and blood ran down his face. It had been haunting to say the least. 

She just couldn't wrap her mind around why he would want to kill her so badly still. Perhaps he thought she had done something, other than just being generally pathetic for a werewolf.

Daniel was asleep in the chair next to her, his head lolling off to the side, his mouth agape in an un-cute way. Seren remembered what had happened and her heart squeezed in worry. Had it worked? Even though Liam wanted her out of the picture, maybe even dead, it didn't mean she felt the same way. She didn't want him to die...and she most certainly didn't want all of his innocent pack members to be killed if the Red Toothed pack attacked. Without him to lead them, would they be able to defend themselves?

Daniel seemed to hear that she was awake and slowly opened his eyes, blinking them hard and yawning. "How do you feel?"

"Probably as good as you do from sleeping in that chair," she croaked. 

He smiled and wiped his face. "You've been out for a long time."

"Where are Donovan and Cara?"

Daniel frowned. "They left right after Garett made up the antidote. They didn't have any time to wait, but Donovan said that you couldn't go with them because his brother would be unpredictable. He didn't want you to be there if...well...if it didn't work."

Seren's stomach clenched. "Right," she murmured, sliding out of the bed. She realized just how stiff and weak she was when Daniel helped straighten her up. 

"Maybe you will be able to sleep finally if it works."

If it did, that would be that and she would be free to get on with the life she had always wanted...and to reject him. She would have to, wouldn't she?

Daniel whistled and waved his hand in front of her face. "Hello? Earth to Seren? Are you there?"

"Sorry, I was just...thinking."

"I thought you were going to pass out again. Here, Donovan told me to give you this. It's an extra cell phone so he can call you."

He handed her a sleek black device. Seren had never needed a cell phone before. She really hadn't had any friends to speak of and simply called McGreggor from either the store or home, depending on which one of them was where. "Oh," she said. Now she had something new to dread. It ringing.

"Do you want a PB&J? It's all I know how to make," he admitted, smiling.

Seren liked his smile. It was warm and authentic and made her relax again. She stuffed the device deep into her pocket.

She nodded and followed him downstairs, though she was a bit slower than usual. She stared at him while he made the sandwich, smiling at how he had to keep shaking his shaggy brown hair out of his face. She would have to cut it for him, she decided. He had become quite the friend to her, filling a sort of hole that Max had left behind. Regardless of what happened to Liam, she would not have her mate with her. She tried to imagine being with Daniel, but couldn't see him romantically- probably because she hadn't rejected her real mate. Besides, he might find his true mate and it would only cause more heartache. Seren had had enough already.

After he helped her back to her room and hugged her goodnight, she stripped and took a long, hot bath, trying to rejuvenate herself after all the damage her mate had done to her. Heck, he hadn't even been within a hundred mile radius for over a week and the bond was still having an effect on her. She turned her head to look at the phone sitting on the counter and sighed. Why would Donovan need to call her about it? She didn't want to know either way.