Chapter Sixteen: Handle It

"My heart tells me this is the best and greatest feeling I have ever had. But my mind knows the difference between wanting what you can’t have and wanting what you shouldn’t want. And I shouldn’t want you.” - Cassandra Clare

(Corrine's point of view)

        "I can't believe you had the balls to leave me for two weeks!" Kelly huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. 

         I simply grinned at her. I can't say I didn't miss her and her insane, sometimes violent ways. And I knew she missed me too because the second she saw me walk into her office a few minutes ago, I had been trapped in a giant bear hug. 

        She rolled her eyes, but I saw the way the corners of her mouth lifted into a small smile. "I mean, how am I supposed to even survive without you?" She pouted. Mentally, I snorted. Really, it felt like I needed her more than she needed me.

        "Awww, look at you, needing another person." I cooed, then wrapped an arm around her and nuzzled her chocolatey hair. "I'm sure everything was okay for the short time I was away." I paused. "Please tell me you didn't do anything really stupid."

        She pulled away and began twisting her fingers. "Um, well, I wouldn't define it as stupid, really. It was more of a heat in the moment thing?" She says sheepishly. 

        "What...did...you...do?" 

        "I did Adrian?" She squeaks. 

        I pause. "Huh. That's not so bad. Wait, was it? Was it bad? Is that it?" 

        She did a face-palm. "How do you not see the issue here?"

        "Pretty face, but he's bad in bed?"

        "Not that issue!"

        "So he is bad!"

        "No! He's the best I've ever had!" She smacks her hand onto her mouth, wide-eyed. 

        I gape at her then, collect myself. "Just don't tell him that, he'll get  all cocky over you."

        "I don't think I needed to tell him, I was pretty much scream--"

        I stopped her. "Yeah, I got the gist of it." 

        "Anyway, he's Nathan's best friend, and we've known each other since we were around six. I mean, a relationship between us would be really weird, for everyone, and I can't keep it all just sex, I already have," she paused to shudder, "feelings." She whispered it as if it was a bad word. 

        I pursed my lips. "Surely it won't be that awkward?" 

        "What won't be that awkward?" Nathan said from the doorway. The hair on my nape stood on end at the sound of his voice, my skin tingling just because he was in the same room as me. It was an irrational reaction, but that didn't matter to every freaking cell in my body. Now, I'd have thought that two weeks apart may have given me some perspective and I would be rid of this infatuation, but the opposite seemed to happen. 

        I actually...missed him. 

        I smiled at him, hiding my uneasiness. "Nothing."

        My insides melted as the corner of his mouth lifted into a sexy half-smile. "Mhmm," he hummed,, disbelieving, but dropped the subject anyway. Instead, he walked over to me and gave me a bear hug similar to Kelly's, but one that made my heart flutter in my chest. With his mouth at my ear, he whispered, "Great to have you back, Corrine."