Chapter Four: The Simpsons?

Chapter Four

(Corrine’s point of view)

        Do you ever have those moments in which you can sense something big about to happen but you chalk it up to you being a little crazy, tired, and hungry, so you simply smile widely ignoring the frantic thudding of your heart in your chest?

        Well, that’s pretty much how I felt at the moment.

        That and a rising urge to snicker. Ha! Passing connections with a stranger my ass!

        “Seriously? That’s great!” I beamed. I then shocked myself by blurting, “I can show you around and introduce you to everyone.”  Um, where did that come from? Smart, Corrine. Very, very smart.

        “Oh, yeah, thank you.” He flashed a huge smile that nearly had me staggering back. Oooh, is that a dimple I see? He stood up and together, we walked out of the office. As I began explaining a bunch of things to Nathan (thinking of him as Nathaniel has started to feel too formal) I completely missed Kelly’s evil smirk.

       ***

        Kelly figured she shouldn’t be so obvious, smirking right in front of them, but she couldn’t help herself.

          Her plan was going quite smoothly. Smartly, she had made sure that Corrine and Nate never met until last night (easier said than done) and then made sure that they’d have to deal with each other on a near-daily basis.

        She had a few reservations about her plan of getting those two together, something that required ruining a marriage, but then she remembered how horrible Corrine and Jason were for each other and felt less guilty.

        And besides, once Nate and Corrine were together, it’d all be worth it and the world will be set straight. For them at least.

        She’d had quite enough of her best friend’s fake smile and her brother’s long, long, long list of women he should’ve probably avoided.

        Time for a change.

        ***

(Back to Corrine’s POV)

        “Aaaaand this is our office. Well, I can’t really call this an office, it’s more of an extremely tiny room, with four desks shoved in.  And yeah, that’s everyone and everything. Oh, those two desks are for Paige and Louis. Honestly, these are rarely used, but…yeah…” I trailed off, shrugging.

        Perfectly on time, Chris bursts into the room, breaking the awkwardness.

         “Oh hey, I wanted to show you—“

        “Wait; before you say anything, I’m taking a vote, so I need you both to answer me honestly.” He interrupted me.

        I gave Nathan a look. “Brace yourself; this is going to be something really weird.”  

        “Okay, shoot.” He told Chris, leaning back against a desk and crossing his arms across his chest, making his shirt strain slightly against his biceps. Wow…

        “Okay, what do you prefer? The Simpsons or Family Guy?

        Easy enough.

        “Simpsons.” I said, just as Nathan said, “Family Guy.”

        Then, the strangest thing happened. We gaped at each other.

         “Oh come on, are you serious?” I said, and at the same time, he said, “You’ve got to be kidding.”

         And I think that moment was what started it all, (not the following argument about the pros and cons of both shows, but that was one hell of an interesting debate) but it was probably the moment my fragile friendship with Nathan began. It was when I decided I would have to get so used to him that he’d feel like a piece of furniture (which I will later on learn is impossible).  It was also when I figured out that I’d need to keep my guard up around him (a point that was emphasized after only an hour around him) or else I would get myself in no small amount of trouble… 

********************************

Chapter Four!!!!

This chapter feels very meh-ish. Is Meh an emotion? It should be. 

Anyyyyywaayyyy, hope you liked it! (Very sorry about how short it is, especially after such a long wait)

Please,

VOTE,

FOLLOW,

and of course COMMENT

Love y'all!