Chapter Fourteen

Two solid weeks since Codi had interrogated Erika on Alex; in that time span Alex had almost gone out of his way not to be near Erika unless it was a group setting. It was a bit hard, seeing as she was in his house almost every hour of the day, but he was managing. Erika wasn't stupid, she knew that Codi had been sent by Alex to ask the questions and when Erika had answered all reports had been promptly taken back to Alex.

It was also evident that Codi hadn't worked cheap, for that Erika pitied Rian. It was early morning, when Codi came running into the living room dancing excitedly. The second she laid eyes on a joyful Alex, the two started to cheer and dance together leaving Erika confused yet not in the slightest bit curious. Turning back to the television, she continued watching the early morning news program letting the other two do what they had to.

Before long, Rian had joined their little party, dressed in his best jeans and a purple Raven's jersey. Handing the matching shirt to Codi, who happily pulled it on over her t-shirt and modelled it proudly for the two boys in the kitchen, Rian stopped for a second to greet Erika.

"Hey, did you want to come too?" Rian asked sitting down on the couch next to Erika.

"Uh, I don't like football." Erika replied with a shrug.

"So, you can still come." Alex spoke up.

He had hardly said two words to Erika; this was a bit of a change.

"Yeah come on!" Codi said eagerly bouncing up and down.

Erika laughed at the three pouting faces standing and sitting around her, all dressed in the same colour purple jerseys trying to contain their excitement.

"We're going to pick up Jack and head over. Come on. It'll be fun, I promise!" Rian smiled his dazzling white smile and went as far to bat his eye lashes for effect.

They were like children on Christmas morning; Erika could imagine how a game would be. Thousands of people all cheering for their team, a sea of purple combined with the smell of beer, sweat and disgusting football stadium food. No thanks! The mere idea of a hot dog cooking made her stomach queasy, there was no way she was going to survive an entire football game. Almost four months pregnant and at a football game, the idea didn't sit well with Erika. Even when she wasn't pregnant, she hated anything of that nature.

"I have a lot to do." She excused herself. "Sorry."

"You're always busy; do you mind me asking what is it you do all the time?" Codi asked with a laugh.

"Well, I've been working on school when I can and who do you think makes the food you guys always seem to have magically appearing?" Erika laughed along with her best friend.

"Food fairies." Alex shrugged with a smirk.

"Asshole." Erika shot back. "It's just not a good idea, besides I got an e-mail from my mom last night and I told her I'd call today."

"Understandable." Rian nodded in understanding. "Have you told her yet?"

Erika shook her head and stared at the floor, absentmindedly she suddenly started patting Peyton on the head, the large dog calming her.

"Do you want..."

"No, I'm fine." Erika replied quickly, giving Rian a reassuring smile. "You guys go. You better hurry, you still need to get Jack and you don't want to miss anything."

Left with Peyton and Sebastian as her company for the day, Erika went about a few things that needed to be done. It seemed as though she had just put herself in charge of keeping the house in order, she had never been asked to but it made her feel like she was contributing. As she finished a load of laundry and slid a tray of muffins in the oven, Erika got the nerve to pick up the phone and finally call her mother like she had promised.