Chapter Twenty Eight

it has only been a month or so since my last update, eep. sorry. anyway here is something new.

----------------

"There is something calming about painting a room." Erika commented, from where she sat on the floor watching as Rian and Codi painted the room Alex had set aside for Baby M.

"You're not even working." Rian playfully shot back, taking a step up onto the chair he'd been using to reach the higher parts of the wall.

"Somebody had to supervise the two of you, we want the paint on the walls and Alex didn't need you two going at it in his spare room." Erika joked with a smug smile.

"Wouldn't be the first time." Codi chimed in, dipping her roller back into the soft coloured paint.

The can claimed it was butter cream; Erika had picked it out because she still wasn't sure if it was a boy or a girl. It wouldn't be long before she found out. Rian and Codi had volunteered to help paint, the band had a few weeks off before their next tour and Alex was pretty picky about what was to be done before he left again. He didn't have to do all that he had, Alex didn't have to let Erika stay with him and he certainly did not have to give up an entire room in his house for a kid that wasn't even his.

Moving along with their tasks as they chattered back and forth, the three didn't even seem to realize how much work Codi and Rian had managed to get done until Rian climbed down off of his chair and dropped his brush in the paint tray. Taking a step back to look over the work, he smiled and nodded in approval.

"I like it." He announced winking at Erika.

Rian quickly collected the painting supplies, heading down stairs to clean up the brushes and rollers. Gushing about how cute the room would look when it was finally finished, Codi flopped down on the plastic covered floor next to Erika, who was smiling at her best friend's babble.

"You know, Codi, I'm happy you're here with me." Erika commented leaning in to give the other girl a hug.

"I'm happy to be here." Codi replied with a wide grin. "Have you talked to Zack lately?" Codi asked rubbing her arm across her forehead. Way to change the subject.

Erika bit her bottom lip and shook her head. "Not since the holidays. Why?"

Codi shrugged. "Nothing, I was just curious is all. You should talk with him."

Since Codi had come back from being on tour, she had been constantly at Erika to talk with Zack. Erika understood that being on a bus with somebody for a month could probably change your opinion on somebody, but it was starting to annoy her. Yes, Codi probably meant well with her new development, which made Erika feel bad for getting annoyed with her over it.

"I think he'd like to see you and get the chance to talk." Codi continued with a small, hopeful smile. "When you first met Zack, you really liked him and I just think that the two of you need to talk about things."

Yes, Erika had liked Zack. He was a nice, decent, somewhat sweet guy and how was Erika to know that hadn't all been an act? When she'd arrived in Baltimore, she had found that Zack waiting for her and then he changed. After the things he'd said, Erika wasn't going to get over that very easily.

"Codi, all we ever do is talk and each time things get more fucked up. One minute he is fine, the next he's the world's biggest asshole. Zack has to sort himself out. I think it's best if we just don't talk for a while." Erika added her eyes focused on the floor.

"You don't know until you try. You should call him even." Codi urged.

"I don't want to talk with Zack, can we please drop this?" Erika questioned, her stare narrowing on her best friend.

"Okay, but you should know that he..."

"I really need to pee, can you help me up?" Erika changed the subject, reaching her hand out for Codi to help her stand up.

As Erika headed in one direction to the bathroom, Codi headed in the other and down stairs to find Rian cleaning out his last paint brush. Hoisting herself up onto the small cupboard between the washer and the laundry room sink, Codi watched Rian rinse the brush and set it with the others to dry. Giving Codi a kiss on the cheek, Rian frowned when she sighed at him.

"What's wrong?" He asked giving her another kiss on the cheek.

"I told Erika that she needs to talk to Zack and she got mad. Erika has never been mad at me." Codi replied quietly.

"Well." Rian replied tilting his head to the side. "I know you want the best for her, but you need to let Erika live her life and you need to stay out of her business."

"I know, but I think if they talked it over then they could work something out and I just want her happy. She's miserable, Ri and I hate that." Codi rambled on, running her hands nervously on her pants. "Zack is an asshole, but I think he really wants to try and make this work. Somewhere deep down, he likes her and I know she likes him."

"Unfortunately, we can't force them to do something they don't want to do. We can't tell them what to do either." Rian said casually twirling a strand of blond hair from Codi's ponytail around his finger.

"Admit it! You think the same thing I do. You know he likes her." Codi accused, poking Rian in the cheest.

"I don't know that. I do know we should go tell Erika we're leaving, so we can get home and get ready because I want to take you out tonight." Rian changed the subject with a grin and a wink.

With Codi and Rian gone, Erika found herself hanging out with Baz and Peyton; the two dogs were lounging at her feet while she sat on the couch with a book in hand. It seemed as though lately, she was taking every second alone that she could get, enjoying them and doing the simplest things. A good book, a movie, even an afternoon baking was a nice way to spend her alone time. It wouldn't be long before she had no time, enjoying it while she could was essential.

Alex wasn't too keen on her leaving the house a lone or going too far on her own, at times Erika felt like a little girl who needed constant attention and supervision, although she understood why he did it. She didn't get far without someone else at her side, which is why she enjoyed being alone in the house even more. Holding her book, yet not really reading it, Erika heard the door from the garage open causing Peyton to jump up and run to the intruder, while Baz laid on Erika's feet barking furiously.

"Oh shut up, ya turkey." Alex chided the small dog with a laugh.

Setting down the grocery bags in his hand, he approached the couch. Erika turned to look at him, giving him a blank stare the corner of her mouth twitched like she wanted to smile or possibly say something. Her eyes were cloudy and she looked like somebody had stolen her best friend from her.

"Hey, you look sad who died?" Alex asked taking a seat next to Erika and wrapping his arm around her. "Oh my god, was it Flyzik? I knew he was too much of a wimp." He rambled on about her fish.

"Nobody died." Erika replied with a small smirk. "I'm pregnant; didn't you know I'm supposed to get emotional for no reason?"

Good excuse as any.

"I have heard that, but what's the real problem?" Alex asked gently nudging her shoulder.

He had heard enough of her pregnancy excuses, sometimes they were truth, but she looked way to upset for this to be a mood swing.

Sagging her shoulders and resting her head against Alex, Erika told him about her conversation with Codi. "Lately all she wants to do is shove me to talk to Zack. I don't want to talk to Zack."

Alex nodded, letting it sink in. Who could blame her for not wanting to speak to Zack? The guy had been an absolute tool toward her for the last several months. He didn't deserve to even have Erika entertain the thought of speaking to him. Rubbing the back of his neck, Alex mulled over the situation. He was still mad at Zack. In hind sight, the more Alex thought it over, if Erika and Zack didn't work this out now then things would only get worse once the baby was born.

"I think that whether or not you like it, the two of you are having a baby soon and you should have a talk. You both need to sit down and talk before that happens and before he goes back on tour." Alex encouraged. "I'm not happy about it, but it isn't my life and Codi is making sense."