Chapter Nineteen // together

.•:Paisley Conner:•.

I had never been so entirely frightened in my life

I had never been so entirely frightened in my life. I was scared to go back home, scared to stay at the pack house with Daniel, scared to even remember what I saw in the woods earlier tonight.

I truly wanted to stay in the room Gretchen was in, but Daniel insisted that he stay with me across the hall from where she was.

He wanted us all to be close together in case anything happened. He already told me that he would be calling a pack meeting the following Monday.

"Paisley, tell me again what it looked like?" Daniel had a pen and a gray note pad, he kept clicking his pen, and running his hands through his hair.

"It was dark, I couldn't tell. Huge..." I trailed off, disturbing memories of the earlier hours of the morning coming back to me. "Bony, barely even hairy, black. A huge mouth and a screeching snarl."

Fear resonated through my bones as he jotted down the monster that I was describing.

"Daniel, I was so terrified. I still am," I told him, trying not to get choked with fear.

He scooted closer to me on the bed, taking me into his arms after setting his notes on the cherry wood bedside table near him. "You're safe and sound as long as I'm here with you. Paisley, I - I really love you."

Deep brown eyes glowed in the light of the small lamp that was on, staring into my soul, stealing my angst from me, before I could get back to thinking logically. What he said only affected my head at first, my brain was swimming with responses, but then it hit my stomach, and it was like I was back to that first night I spent alone with him, the car ride where I had no idea what to make of the way he made me feel.

His words eventually affected an entirely different part of my body. All was forgotten besides my need to kiss him, even the ambivalent response that I wasn't sure if he was expecting to hear.

Our gaze didn't break for a long time, until I caught his eyes drifting to my mark. "Do you like it?" I asked him, unsure. I was thankful that the topic had strayed from my earlier horrific experience.

His brown eyes seemed to go black in an instant. "I love it. I think about you every second when you're not within sniffing distance."

I almost laughed at him, but he was being serious so I just adverted my eyes to where his fingers were softly stroking my knee. The feeling was sending tingles out to every nerve ending I had in me. It was hard not to close my eyes and let the feeling take over.

"Daniel," I let my head fall back when I felt his hand move up to my thigh, there was no barrier to my bare skin because of the short dress I had on.

I laid back on to the pillow, and soon after Daniel moved his hand away from my thigh. I didn't have to want his touch back for long because, despite my eyes being closed shut, I felt him brush a few tendrils of hair out of my face. He was tucking them behind my ear when I opened up my eyes.