4.

Tory in recovery^

Tory POV

I dove in and out of consciousness, I saw the blur of Robyn pacing back and forth on the phone. When I woke up again fully, the gleam of the sunset was filtering through the blinds of my hospital room. I turned to my right looking for Robyn but I found August, staring at me with tears in his eyes. My heart leaped, our scene from earlier replaying in my head. He opened his mouth to speak but the words caught in his throat. I was left speechless at how beautiful he was, this was my first time really seeing August in 2 years. All of our memories together flooded in my head, those late nights, those random skip days where we would go downtown to the CNN center, and that one rainy night I broke his heart. Tears started to brim my eyes as he grabbed my hand and put it to his cheek, wet with his own tears.

"I love you, Tory, I never stopped, even after I got with...", he trailed, I could see the anger in his eyes. 

"August, I'm so sorry." I croaked

"Tory, it's too late for sorry at this point, that night after we had messed around you shut down on me and then you left me completely. I know that you had a boyfriend," anger contorted his forehead," But I was better for you and I could have helped you and you wouldn't be where you are now... I should have fought for you." His voice cracked on the last word. I was crying now, it is useless not to, I love this boy with all my heart.

"Augus-," I was cut off by his lips on mine, my eyes drifted closed as his lips molded to mine, slowly and firmly. His hand cupped my face as tears fell from both mine and his eyes, wetting our kiss. He broke away with a gasp and left me breathless.

"Tory, I love you, I can't lose you again."

3 months later...

August and Robyn rolled me out of the hospital in a very uncomfortable wheelchair, my nerves were on high alert. I was scared because Devon was still out there and I know he's waiting for me to finish what he started.  I squeezed August's hand and bit my lip, constantly glancing around. Robyn helped me in her car, I was still a little sore but the doctor said that should subside in a few weeks. The car ride was filled with pointless banter from Robyn, but I could feel August's eyes on me from the backseat.

Once we got to Robyn's house August carried me inside against my will and sat me on the couch where he sat next to me. The memory of our night watching the breakfast club came back sharp and fast, making me gasp. August looked at me with alarm.

"Tory, what's wrong? Are you okay?" I  nodded and laid down on his lap, letting him lay the throw blanket over me. 

"Thank you, Anthony." I realized as the words left my mouth that this was the first time I called him by his name in 2 years, a privilege he only allowed to me. He noticed this too and pulled my hair behind my ear, smiling with his eyes. 

"It's no problem Tory, I love you so much." He said softly, running his fingers through my hair. I closed my eyes to keep the tears from starting as that rainy day replayed in my head. I heard Robyn come in and pretended I was sleep. 

"How is she?", she said quietly

"I think she's sleep, it's been a long few months," said August, I heard Robyn flop down on the love seat adjacent to us. I kept my eyes closed as they talked.

"I know it has for you especially, with you and the custody battle over Nini. I don't understand why Naomii is making everything so difficult, given the circumstances." Robyn said, disgust lining her voice.