14. Jealously Yours

Chapter 14. Jealously Yours

(Danielle)

I could see Aaron was really angry, but I didn't really know why. Liam looked uncomfortable, stuck between us.

After a while, the silence became too much.

"Guys, I am going to go now. I just remembered I have a meeting with my coach." Liam, the coward, said as he turned away. I grabbed his jacket and he gave me a pleading look. I let him go.

We reached our room and he opened it without another word.

"Aaron," I said and he ignored me as he went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottled water from the refrigerator. "Aaron." I said again, this time poking him for the better effect. He gave me a glared and turned away from me.

"Oh, come on, don't be like this." I said and noticed our chessboard.

Our chessboard. It felt strangely intimate. My pawn was dead on the side. I smiled when I picked my bishop and I knew he was looking at me, his eyes filled with resentment. I moved the bishop and gave him a look. He shrugged. I knew he wanted to say something about my move, but he held it in.

"Are you really not going to talk to me?" I asked.

"I know my boundaries." He repeated with a vexed look on his face.

"Oh come on, I was..."

"I don't care." He said as he grabbed a book and fell on his bed. I sighed as I took my sketchbook and sat down on my table. I started drawing and after a while, I heard Aaron getting up and walking away.

Around 2, Kayla called me.

"Hey Danie, are you in your room?" She said. "I can come if you have time."

"Of course."

"Can I bring Marcus along?" She asked.

Marcus. I tried to remember who it was, but I couldn't remember anyone like that.

"Sure." I replied as I hung up. After ten minutes, Kayla was here along with a tall guy, with glasses. He looked familiar, but I couldn't exactly remember where I had seen him. Maybe he was in one of my classes.

"So, Marcus and I made these lists. We are getting metallic balloons in gold and brown and silver. The trap I had already told you about, it would be the entrance piece and everyone can take pictures in it. We are planning to hire someone professional for photography."

"Good." I said as Marcus opened his laptop. He was silent the whole time. He looked really shy too.

Kayla pointed the decoration ideas in the laptop. It was digitally drawn and it was amazing.

"Who did this?" I asked as I looked at the details. It was made with extraordinary precision. The gym's dimension was exact. There were mistletoes hung around in various intervals. Punch bowls placed in the middle. A christmas tree decorated with gears and victorian mansions and pirate ships.

I memorized the places mistletoes were hung so that I could actively avoid them.

"Marcus did. He is a genius with digital designs."

"Nice." I said appreciatively. "This looks new and original. I can stitch the backdrops in brown and gold. Add on some big gears. Clocks. Add some details from The time traveler's wife. Add in more periodical pieces. What do you say?"

"I know it will be amazing." Kayla said and Marcus nodded. He was looking at everywhere except me.

After we talked some more about the details, I was sure this was going to be extraordinary. After an hour, Kayla and Marcus left.