8. Goodbye, Daisy!

Part 8. Goodbye, Daisy!

(Danielle)

We were silent the whole way to the hospital. He called Liam, his friend, once, and told him where he was going. He did not say anything about me, though.

After what felt like hours and hours, it was only 50 minutes away from school and I knew it because I had gone there a hundred times in the past one and half years, we were finally there.

I waited for Aaron as he parked the car. We both stood there for a minute, until he nodded.

"Come?"

I said yes as he walked and I followed him through familiar looking corridors, white walls and I tried hard to blend in. I didn't want anyone to notice me or call out to me. They all knew me here, but I didn't want Aaron to know that.

We stopped by Daisy's room and I stopped by the door, not wanting to disturb them. Daisy was propped in a chair, with the machines plugged in for her to go. My eyes turned wet as soon as I saw her.

Aaron hugged his dad and said something to him. His mom was not there.

Milan looked at me and started to say something, but I pressed a finger against my lips and she nodded her head with a sad smile.

I watched Aaron bending down and kissing Daisy on her forehead. It melted my heart. I felt like my heart was a gooey mess. Suddenly I didn't blame him anymore for hating me. As far as he knew, I was the one his sister was in this way, not moving.

Even I would hate myself if I had been the reason for this comatose state of the vibrant, ever smiling, ever dancing Daisy.

When he looked up from her, his eyes were red and his brows were puckered. I wanted to go to him and hug him, but I could not.

After a while, his dad left too, saying he had to finish paying the bill for the ambulance and had to talk with Daisy's doctor for the arrangement.

Aaron looked at me for a second before he turned away. I knew he was angry seeing me here. I could see it in his eyes. Whatever his intentions were, before, his anger was real now.

I turned away from him, ready to walk away, unwanted here, when he grabbed my hand.

"You deserve to be here, too, Danielle. She was your best friend and whatever it was-" He stopped halfway.

"But-" I hesitated.

"No. Go. Talk to her." He said as he let my hands go. A tear rolled down my cheeks as I walked in and looked at Daisy, memorizing her familiar face.

I held her hand in mine. "Come back, Daisy. Come back. I need you now more than ever." I walked out and. Aaron and I stood there until doctors and nurses walked in the room.

"I should go." I told him and he shook his head.

"Wait in my car. I will be there in five minutes, okay?" He said as he handed me the key to his car.

"Thanks Aaron." I said as I hugged him. I was so grateful to him for what he did to me. He wouldn't know how much, how much seeing Daisy right now meant to me.

He stiffened next to me and then softened. I pulled away, suddenly aware how close my heart beat was to his, how fast mine was.

"I will wait in the car." I said, almost running away from him. Maria, the head nurse, saw me fast walking and waved at me. She gave me a soft smile and whispered everything will be alright. I nodded before I walked out of the hospital. I opened Aaron's car and sat down, and thought about Aaron and how... How strangely different his actions were... I didn't know what changed, or why, but he was trying and my heart was slowly warming up to him.