[Chapter Eight] Mother, Daughter Talks

Please read, comment and vote!!

Mother, Daughter Talks

“Honey, you’ve been standing there for a while and looking in that general direction, why don’t we get inside and get you cleaned up and in bed alright?” my mother said as I felt her fingers wrapping around my arm. I quickly shook my head, trying to clear my mind and immediately regretted it as I felt a wave of dizziness overcome my body. “Woah there now, are you okay honey?” she asked again, immediately taking a hold of me and ushering me inside, towards the kitchen.

She sat me down on one of the kitchen chairs and kneeled down in front of me, her warm eyes squinting at me while she tried to assess what damage had been done to me. I looked down at my shoes and felt a stinging sensation on my lip and cheek. 

“Oh no, my little girl, who did this to you?” she asked, in that motherly voice, the warmth and concern in her voice, immediately making me feel safer.

“It was nothing mum, just an accident” I shrugged, trying to lay it off. I should’ve known better, because the next second my mother was up on her feet, hands on her hips and her mouth drawn in a straight line. 

“Don’t you tell me it was nothing Adrianna Miriam Lillington, I am your mother, I know when you’re lying, and right now, you’re lying to me” she said, her voice dangerously protective and stern. I cowered back into the seat at the weight of her pointed glare, making me feel as if I had done something illegal and wrong.

“I-it was Dean, but I swear it was just an accident, he was just trying to hit Andrew and I stepped in at the wrong time” I immediately felt myself regretting what I had said. My hands coming up to cover my mouth and my eyes widening as my mother’s face turned a bright shade of red; her eyes murderous and no longer warm.

“It was his fault? That boy Andrew?” she seethed between gritted teeth as she cocked an eyebrow at me as I nodded frantically.

“It wasn’t anyone’s fault; I just interfered at the wrong time mum, I…”

“I don’t want you seeing that boy again Adrianna, he’s a nice young man, but I can tell he brings trouble around with him, and we don’t need that in our lives” she said as she turned around to get a damp cloth before handing it to me as I placed it gingerly on my cheek.

“Our lives? Mum, I’m eighteen; I can legally go live my own life and yet I choose to stay with you. I’m not going to stop seeing him, because we never were seeing each other anyways, so you won’t even have to worry about that” I said as I exhaled. My chest heaving slightly from that outburst I had just had. I could feel my fingernails elongating and my hands clenching as I tried to calm myself. Right now is definitely not the right time to go ape-shit. “I’m going to my room” I said as I got up swiftly and stalked off towards my room.

I took big, slow steps, counting sheep in my mind to try and calm me down, which did not have its desired effect. Instead I thought about Andrew, and within three seconds or so of him entering my mind, my breathing went back to normal and my mind had escaped the haze.

I reached my door and pulled it open, taking a moment to take in my surroundings. Something seemed to be off as I sniffed the atmosphere. There was a slight hint of mint and wood in the air and I could feel my mouth watering from the scent. I followed my nose to the source of the smell and stopped short when I reached my desk chair. I slowly picked up the off-white coloured jacket on the back of the chair and sighed softly as a piece of paper fell onto the ground.

Thought I’d drop this off for you, you left it in my car, take care of that bruise and lip, I’ll see you Monday –A

I smiled to myself as I set the note down on my desk and put my jacket away. As creepy as it may be that he had the audacity to come up to my room and drop off my jacket for me, I found it endearingly sweet on his behalf. Never mind the fact that he had to scale the wall, or had found my bedroom and somehow opened my window, the principle remained, he had been enough of a gentleman to drop off my jacket and write me a note.