Ch. 17 Nick is Part of the Family Now

"You're seriously going to name your kid that?"

Mel grinned as her lips gingerly touched her newborn's forehead. She had just given birth an hour ago, and the baby only left her grasp for five seconds--maybe less. After a doctor allowed my family and I into the room, we all bombarded her with the same question: what name did she pick?

For the first time in years, I had a genuine smile on my face. I was so excited to have a new nephew; I had hoped that I could force the boy onto the right path before he was corrupted by my family. However, as soon as Mel uttered the name, the grin was wiped off.

Who the hell would name their kid, Christmas Chobani?

My crazy-ass sister apparently.

"You're naming your kid after a holiday and a Greek yogurt company?" I asked incredulously. My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to grasp the concept. "Seriously?"

"Why wouldn't I? I thought that this boy should have a good name since his siblings have boring ones. Christmas is a happy holiday; I was eating Chobani yogurt when I found out I was pregnant and when I went into labor," she explained slowly, acting like we were all stupid.

My eyes flickered over to Chase, who was cowering in the corner of the hospital room. My sister hadn't forgiven him for cheating yet, and he was walking on egg shells around her. I knew for a fact that he loathed the name since every time the words escaped her mouth, he cringed slightly.

"Yes, it's lovely, darling," Chase cooed and rushed over to her side. He placed his hand on top of one of her shoulders. "Just lovely."

"Oh, shut up, you nasty cheater. Don't ruin this moment by touching me." Her teeth gritted, creating a shrill sound.

He backed way defensively and hid in his corner. My mother's lip quivered as she flattened out her pink shirt; she obviously hated the name, too. Who would like it? If she called that innocent, little boy that, she would just be asking for her child to be a bullying target.

"Let's play the name game. You spew names at me, and I tell you how I honestly feel," I suggested, while grinning. 

God I was such a genius.

"Okay," Mel agreed enthusiastically as she nursed her newborn in front of the whole family, "let's play! Mark Juanna?"

"Sounds like marijuana."

"Rusty Mason?"

"You want to name your kid after old metal?"

"B.J.--short for Brian John?"

"Do I have to remind you of what B.J. could also stand for?"

"Kyle Kam?"

"Way to copy the Kardashians."

"Mickie Kyler?"

"Sounds like a stripper name."

"Williamson Dick--"

"Jesus Christ, that name will make the kid a punching bag! Where do you come up with these horrendous names?" I spat as my head shook side to side. "This is just sad."

The bottom of Mel's lip quaked a little, and my gaze averted around the room. The bright flowers and holiday decorations stung my eyes, and they involuntarily closed for a few seconds. My mother thought that the room needed more pizazz, so she brought in Santa statues, green and red balloons, and bright red flowers. 

The room looked like Santa exploded all over it.

When I stared at my sister's face again, a smirked slithered up her mouth. Her deep blue eyes narrowed, and it was almost like I could see the light bulb flashing above her head.