Ch. 14 A "Magical" Wedding

Weddings sucked.

Even with swollen ankle, black eye, and two hours of sleep, I managed to walk down the aisle with the rest of the bridesmaids and a smile plastered on my face. All the guests were giggling as we strode down; I must've seen about twenty cameras pointed towards us, making sure our moment of embarrassment was captured on tape forever.

Currently, I was rocking back and forth on my heels as the town priest concluded the ceremony. Hunter and Evalyn, grinning at each other like idiots, slowly pronounced their vows. As they slid on each other's rings, I could see how happy they were. Although I strongly opposed their decision, I knew that they belonged together.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. Hunter, you may kiss your lovely--"

Before the priest could even finish the last line, Hunter grabbed Evalyn into an embrace and crashed their lips together. Her arms slithered around his neck, closing any space left between them. How could they just make out shamelessly in front of a crowd of people? After a minute, I planted my arms around the bride's waist, pulling her free from Hunter's grasp.

"Woah, there, Mrs. Turner. Let's save some of the kissing for the honeymoon," I joked while gesturing for them to continue the ceremony.

Evalyn nodded, and I handed her back the bouquet of flowers. The newly married couple then proceeded to turn towards the crowd, intertwine hands, and run down the aisle. The girls and I followed, clapping as we stepped. I could faintly see Nick cheering and smiling at me as I passed the middle row of chairs. 

I couldn't help but smile back.

**

I crossed my arms, gazing at the barn proudly. Before, it was an unkempt, unused storehouse that we only used to park cars when we had company. To save money, Evalyn begged us to use this as the reception area for her wedding; she even promised to clean it out and decorate it. As her Maid of Honor, it actually mean that had to clean and decorate it. 

It took about a week of pain, blood, and sweat to transform the barn into a luxurious ballroom. After scrubbing it, I rented thirty or forty circular white tables and chairs; luckily for me, Evalyn's mother worked at the craft store, so we got glittery white fabric for free. The fabric, draped all over the walls, made the room shine like a star. Bright pink roses, placed in glass vases with the bride's and groom's initials, were scattered throughout the whole reception hall.

"Nice dress, cowgirl," Nick chuckled as he appeared next to me. My eyes flickered to him, and a smile made its way onto my face. He was wearing a white linen shirt, black trousers, and a pink tie. 

"Thanks." A fierce blush crept onto my face. My hand pushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"No problem," he replied as he gazed down at me. When he looked up, the sides of his rosy lips tilted downwards. "Who's that?"

I scanned the room to see who Nick was staring at. Through the large crowd of people, my eyes found a blond-haired man glaring as he talked to Evalyn. His grip tightened on the champagne glass he was holding, and I gulped, realizing how awkward this situation was.

Ash.

"That guy? Oh, he's....he's...." I trailed off, not being able to find a proper label for our relationship. My teeth bit my bottom lip as I saw that Ash began maneuvering through the crowd to get towards us. 

"Looks like he's jealous." A smirk slithered up Nick's face, and a hint of amusement flickered across his eyes. As my jealous friend neared us, Nick flung his left arm around my shoulders, forcing us closer together.