6. If I was a Vampire...

Start from the beginning

   Thanks to the person who planted the idea of to-go food in people’s brains. I grabbed a strip of bacon and tried to walk as fast and quietly as I could towards the door.

   “What’s the rush, sweetheart? Wouldn’t you like to eat breakfast together, like old times?” A deep, masculine voice said from behind me, as a strong arm took hold of my waist.

   I froze in fright, and slowly turned around to meet the cold, familiar, dark brown, almost black eyes. He was the last person I expected to see. I winced as a pain shot through my head, some of the memories from last night coming back. Landon mixing me up a shot of vodka. Becky standing beside Landon. Christian finding me. Me blacking out right before I saw—

Him.

   My face paled, as I remembered bits and pieces of last night, right before I passed out. My hands reached a freezing temperature as the bacon slipped from my grip and I turned around, slightly shaking.

   As he loosened his grip, I took three big steps back.

   “You remember me now, sweetheart?” He said, addressing me with the same nickname as before, knowing it brought back my bad memories.

   “J-Jon. You’re b-back?” I stammered, my last sentence sounding like more of a question.

   “That’s right baby. Come why don’t you have a seat and we’ll talk.” He said, grabbing hold of my hand, pulling slightly.

   “C-can’t. I’m late for my job.” I managed to choke out, while trying to loosen Jon’s grip on my hand.

   “Ah yes. Your new job…you’re working in Christian’s company now aren’t you?” He said, with fake interest, and pulled me roughly towards himself, dragging me back into the kitchen.

   I didn’t say anything, not bothering to answer a question he already knew the answer too. He pulled out a chair, “Sit, won’t you?”

   Reluctantly, I took a seat in the mahogany chair, while Jon sat across from me.

   Suddenly his face became serious; all signs of sarcasm and playfulness wiped clean. “What exactly are you trying to do, Valerie? Don’t tell me you’re going to choose to come clean to him after all these years.” He all but growled at me.

   “I-I didn’t know he worked here when I joined.” I stammered.

   “C’mon sweetheart, stop with the innocent and vulnerable act. I know all about what you did remember? In a sense, I guess I was there too. It’s a shame how you could do that to your own family member, after all, it was your fault right?” He took a bite out of his omelet, a cold smile spreading across his face when I winced at the nickname he used again and the harsh words he said.

   “You said you wouldn’t say anything about that. I-I did everything that you told me to do, everything.” I said quietly my voice almost a whisper.