1. "Floor It!"

Chapter One

"Floor It!"

   “Taxi!” I shouted loudly, for what seemed like the hundredth time, and waved my hand. Once again the taxi was full and passed me by. It was my first day at work today and I didn’t want to be late, but there seemed to be no available taxi around. I should have just taken the bus.

   I looked at my watch and frowned, I had fifteen minutes before I was late. Seeing another taxi coming by, I waved my hand, signaling it to stop. To my surprise, it slowly came to a halt.

Yes! I did a little happy dance in my head. I cautiously walked over to the car, being careful not to trip in my four inch stilettos. I had to buy high heels for this job, and as embarrassing as it is to admit it, I’m a twenty two year old woman who has never wore heels in her life, so I was taking extreme caution today.

   Reaching the car, I flung open the left door and at the same time, someone opened the door on the opposite side. I looked up at the stranger across from me and I was instantly dazed, not because of his great looks, but because of his too familiar face.

   He had dark blonde hair that curled at the end, and light blue eyes, that I somewhat recognized. The man was dressed in office attire, wearing a snug fitting light blue shirt rolled up neatly to below his elbows, and a striped tie along with black trousers. He was holding a briefcase in one hand and a coffee in another. I also noticed that he was wearing a frown upon his face.

   “Sorry, but this taxi is already taken.” I said finally, snapping out of my daze.

   “I don’t think so. Clearly, I got here first and I’ve been waiting for a taxi for a while now. So why don’t you just get another one.” He said while taking a sip of his coffee and quickly sat in the car. His voice sounded too familiar to my ears and made me feel uneasy.

   As soon as he sat in the car, I did too. “Look mister, for twenty minutes I have been looking for a taxi and if I don’t reach my new job in fifteen minutes I’ll be late for my very first day. I have endured long line ups, snobby attitudes and three hours of shopping and these stupid, annoying high heels all for this job. Heck, I even woke up two hours earlier than my usual time today! I didn’t do that all just so I can be late for my new job, because some jerk is too lazy to get up and find another taxi. So if you’ll excuse me and get out of my taxi, I will be very happy.”

   After I finished my rant, both the taxi driver and the man were both staring at me like I was lunatic. The rude man made no move to get out of the taxi and instead just cocked an eyebrow at me.

   Okay Valerie, just think this through. I finally got an idea. I took the man’s briefcase and threw it out the open door.

   “Why would you do that?” The man looked bewildered and angry as he got out of the taxi to retrieve his briefcase, almost spilling his coffee in the process.

    “If you floor it right now, I’m willing to pay you an extra twenty bucks.” I said to the taxi driver and quickly closed both the doors, just as he sped the car. Looking back, I saw the man screaming at us. Screw it! Not like I’m going to see him again. So, I stuck my head out the window and blew him kisses, just as he gave me the finger.