Twenty Seven

"Anneyong." I said as Lucas opened the door. He was already ready to go to sleep, as he was standing in his PJ's. He smiled as I greeted him in his language.
"Anneyong hashimnikka." He said
"What does that mean?" I said
"Good evening." He said as he reached in and pecked me on the cheek.
"I hope I didn't bother you."
"No, no. I was just about to call for FaceTime with you. I missed you and come on in." He said as he got the boba teas from me and I entered his place.
"So, how have you been?" I said
"To be honest, I just miss you." He said as he placed the teas on the table and then wrapped me in his arms.
"I missed you too. What have you been up to lately?" I said
"Oh, you're gonna love this. First, what do you have there?" He said
"Oh! I have brought us boba teas."
"How do you know I love these?" He said
"I don't. Katherine had it for lunch today and I got a little bit curious and had her buy me one and then I liked it and I had her buy for the two of us." I said as I handed him one.
"Does this come with sinkers?" He asked
"I do hope you like those black things-"
"I do." He said as he took the straw from my hand.
We sat down the couch and faced each other.
"So, we have some catching up to do, yeah?" I said
"Yeah, so, I am working on this research project for the hospital and mostly for me and my name, and I am moving on to the data gathering phase but to do that I am gonna need funding. I can't do it using my own money well, because I might just give up basic necessities so it would be a good help if I get some money to do it."
I just looked at him.
"So? You need money?" I said
"Yes, but let me finish first. Okay, in the hospital there are three main sponsors for this year. And there are ten of us and rumor has it I think they're only getting two each. Funding a medical research isn't exactly cheap."
"Medical shit isn't cheap." I said
"Yes, so I have already presented my paper to two of the sponsors and-" I kinda spaced out for a moment because I am one of the sponsors for this year and I haven't met any of the researchers. I'm not exactly available for the past few days because I am a Vice President of a company and it's not really my fault that they decided to call me up a few weeks before the awardings.
"-you'd never guess who's the last one. Most of us attendings are having a really hard time bouncing the work and the research and finding the research funds." I just nodded as he said this.
"So-" he continued.
"You just discovered today that you're dating a sponsor." I said
"I just discovered today that I am dating the other sponsor." He said
I smiled.
"What, you need funding? How much?" I said as I grabbed my bag.
"What, no-"
"You don't?"
"Wait, let me finish my story first!" He said as he took a sip of the boba tea.
"Okay. Sorry."
"Okay, first off Amara Hayden-" I winced as he said my name.
"What?" I said
"You told me before that Ara is just short for Ara."
"It was. Actually, I even made a story about it, and it goes like, my mother made a mistake in writing in the form. My name is supposed to be Ava but she wrote the pole of the small R a bit near the arm so it became Ara and many people bought it." I said
"I told you my real na-"
"Correction, Jae Kyung told me your name. "
"Okay, Amara."
"Don't call me that. It's weird."
"But I like you calling me Lee Kyung."
"It doesn't mean I like you calling me Amara." I smiled.
"Okay, fine. Going back to my story, we were all having a talk about the three sponsors and how we all managed to meet up with the two, Marshall and Spencer. But we couldn't get a meeting with Amara Hayden. We couldn't even get past the operator."
"Oh, it's because I told Katherine that we wouldn't be entertaining over the phone-"
He gasped.
"I will react to that later but first, let me finish my story. Rick, decided to look up who the hell is this snob, and-"
"Hold up, you didn't know at first that I am the third one?"
"I literally just found out a while ago."
I frowned.
"Lucas, you're smart and all and you have internet access, I honestly thought you have Googled me before." I said
"Who the hell Googles potential girlfriends?"
"At least when I told you that I am the newest vice president of the company." I said
"It didn't cross my mind okay. Going back, so he searched your name and of course, your photo showed up, but simultaneously, I also did my search and I really felt happy to see your face fill up my screen. I missed you."
"I missed you too, that's why I'm here." I said
"But, as they were scrolling through the photos, they remembered that I was kissing a blonde woman in the hospital hallway not to long ago-"
"You're not even my boyfriend yet, and here you are cheating on me?"
"The woman was you. They pieced up the puzzle pieces when they saw a pap shot of us in Korea."
"Oh, paps were following us? I didn't think I was that big." I said
"Anyway, I was acting a little bit cool about this research funding thing and they thought that you already gave me the slot."
"Oh, that's pretty normal. Especially when you're dating a rich girl, you're in it for the money or the sex or both." I said
He shook his head.
"Okay, the reason why I haven't met up with any doctors is because, don't get me wrong, I have gone through all proposals. But, I am still looking for a certain substance and depth in the research, plus I am also super busy that I haven't even gone through your paper." I said
"Thanks." He said
"I told Katherine to tell the operator not to connect any calls about this to me, I can't handle it as of the moment because there are a lot of projects that are going through me right now. So, how much do you need?"
"Ara, no, I'm not gonna take money from you."
"It's because I'm your girlfriend isn't it?"
"You're my girlfriend?"
I smiled.
"Or whatever, I don't know."
He smiled.
"I feel like I didn't work for it. You haven't even downloaded my paper. It's not right and fair for ny colleagues."
I nodded.
"I don't think I can give you my sponsorship either, once HI finds out, it can drastically affect your research and I wouldn't want that." I said
"Thank you."
"Oh, I forgot to tell you something." I said
"What? Your second name?"
"Ha! You're not getting that out of me."
"I'll get it one day. What is it that you forgot to tell me?"
"I saw you cut open a brain before." I said
"Me? I don't think you have, I mean, how?"
"It was the long one, uh labyrinth thingy." I said
"Translabyrinth craniotomy? How, I don't think MGH held an open house or even a recital-"
"In addition of me intentionally forgetting to tell you my birth and legal name, I also forgot to tell you something-"
"Are you a doctor too?"
"No, no. I also work-ish at MGH." I said
"If you did, I would always see you."
"I doubt it, I mean you just learned my first name today." I said
"What do you do in MGH? You're not a doctor or a nurse-"
"I'm not a surgeon or a nurse. I'm part owner and a board member." I said
"What?"
"Yeah, I forgot to tell you that part when I told you that I'm the new vice president of HI. It really slipped my mind."
"But you watched me for six hours performing a surgery."
"Yeah, I don't know how I forgot honestly."
"You're a board member?"
"Yes, I come in from time to time especially when there is a major decision coming up and-"
"Oh my god, you're cool." He said
"No, I'm not. This would mean a lot for you since you work there."
"Ara, I really don't care. To be honest, the only time time those people got 'civil' with me was these past few weeks. And this just gives them more stuff to talk about me." He said
"You like people to talk about you?"
"It's not like they don't do it all the time." He said
"You're office gossip?"
"Yeah, most of the time. It probably has to do something because I look different."
"Yeah, you're hot."
"Aigoo, chincha-" I frowned as he spoke in Korean, and well, while he was blushing.
"What, you don't agree with me?" I said
"Well, you're not so bad yourself." He said
"Tomorrow's your day off right?" I said
"Yes." He said as he moved to lay down on my lap.
"Oh, the gala is in a few days right?"
"Oh, right! I for-"
"You're gonna hate me for this but, I don't think I'll be able to go."
"What?!"
"It's also part of the reason why I haven't met any doctors. But, I have to go to Shanghai tomorrow night for business and-"
"You're going to Shanghai?"
"Don't hate me." I said as I looked into his eyes.
"I can't ever hate you, but it would have been nice if you were there with me. I was really looking forward for this."
"I know you are and I am too, I have ordered an Elie Saab dress already but-"
"I already have planned a whole night for us."
"Is there a chance that we could just do it now until tomorrow afternoon?"
"That would mean you'd have to stay here."
"I wasn't really planning on going home tonight actually."
"What? I haven't prepared your room yet."
"Lucas, what are you, my mother? I don't need that room back." I said
"Okay, then you can stay in my room."
"Really?"
"Yeah, I can stay here in the couch." He said as he sat up.
"Tell me, Seo Lee Kyung, what do you have in store for what should have been our gala night?" I asked
"First off, I like it when you say my name, I really wish you can say it all the time. Second, spoiler alert, that was supposed to be the day that I ask you to be my girlfriend."
"You could ask me that now, you know."
He sighed.
"It would have been nice if we were both dressed up nicely and-"
"Even if we're both dresses in rags, it won't affect my decision." I said
"Really?"
"But, if you were in scrubs right now-" I said as we moved closer to each other.
"You have no idea what are the things I want to do to you right now." He said
"I thought you were gonna give me an idea." I said
"For starters, we could move closer and faster together. I mean, are we gonna kiss or what?" He said
I smiled.
"I don't know, you tell me." I said
And then, with what I think is a small growl or whatever came out of him, we were—I wouldn't say kissing because we were moving at a pace that I don't think fits—my thoughts are pretty scattered right now—the word kissing doesn't even fit it. To put it bluntly, we were basically destroying each other's mouths.