Twenty-Three

It has been a month since Lucas and I saw each other, and it has been a month since I started working as the Vice President of Hayden Industries.
I thought I was gonna be free 9pm onwards but it turns out that is the time that I can get off work.  I kinda feel bad for my secretary, Kate for working that long but she's great and it seems that she knows me real well.
I don't go home to Southampton now and I am fully settled in SoHo, which is great. Yay, independence plus I only live 30 minutes away from work. It should be 15 but traffic sometimes suck. And I only live 45 minutes away from Lucas but he doesn't know that yet.
"Miss Hayden, these papers are for your review and signature." Kate said as she placed the folders on my table.
"Thank you, Kate. Uh, can you get me a bottle of Fiji please?" I said
"Right away, Miss Hayden." She said
I looked at my phone and saw that Lucas sent me a photo of him wearing scrubs again.
Can I take you out for dinner tonight, Miss Vice President? He texted.
I smiled at the message and hell, the photo. I mean, it's not a dick pic (and I think sexting is just crazy and a dick pic would be gross) a guy in scrubs is just enough, well more than enough.
Kate came back with my cold Fiji water.
"Kate, what's up with my 7pm onward schedule?" I said as she opened the bottle.
"None so far. Your last schedule is up to 5:30pm." She said
I've been with Kate for a month, and she knows my daily schedule by heart. And she carries it around with her. It's in her laptop, her phone, her two iPads, and her smartwatch. Thank god for iCloud.
"Great, make sure that's my 5:30 onwards is cleared. I have a dinner to go to." I said
"Of course, Miss Hayden." She said as she went to the door.
"Oh, and thank you for the water." I said
She just smiled and left for her desk.
I looked at my phone and texted back to Lucas.
Ara: Scrubbing in again?
Lucas: More of scrubbing out. So, dinner?
Ara: I'm free 5:30 onwards. Do I have to pick you up..again?
Lucas: LOL, no! I'll pick you up.
Ara: You brought your car to work?
Lucas: I'll pick you up at 6.
Ara: Got it. And love the selfie.
Lucas: Much better if you love me.
Ara: It's not far fetched. See you at 6.
Six PM is just five hours away, better get started in reviewing and signing these papers.
I shot Kate a text, asking her if she already had lunch, I just remembered that we just came back from a meeting that ended at lunch time.
"Miss Hayden, would you want anything-" she said
"Hi, go have your lunch first." I said
"Thank you, but would you want me to get something for you-"
"If you're gonna pass by Narcissa's, can you just get me the crab salad?" I said
"Of course." She said
I handed her $50 because I can't remember how much the salad cost, plus this isn't a movie and I'm not expecting her to buy it out of her paycheck.
"Thanks, Kate." I said
"I'll be back." She said
I came across the Metropolitan Hospital papers, it was one of the files that needed my signature. It's regarding my uh, investiture-ish as the new board member. I looked at the list of members and majority of them are doctors. Like, full-pledged doctors, I think I'm the only one with a business degree.
That maybe the case, but apparently this hospital has shares and Hayden Industries owns 15% of it.
I shot Kate a message and said "When you get back, can you give me a financial report for Metropolitan Hospital? Thanks."
Well, it's not like it's a bad business, I mean it's a hospital and there are a lot of sick people around that need treatments.
I wonder why they decided to hold shares at this hospital.
"Miss Hayden?" Kate came back from her lunch and with my lunch with her.
"Hi, Kate. Did you have a great lunch?" I said
"Yes, here's your salad. And along with the change." She said
"Thank you."
"I'll start on the financial report now." She said
Some paperworks pass by me first before reaching the President, some just require my review and signature, but all paperworks need my attention, review and go through all of them. And when you're the vice president of a huge company, so huge that they had to be called Industries, there are a lot of paper works.
"Miss Hayden?" Kate suddenly burst me from my business.
"Yeah?"
"There's a Doctor Seo waiting for you downstairs." She said
"What? It's only-" I looked at my watch and it was well, 5pm. Doc's an hour early, I like it.
"Can you please fetch him and send him up." I said
"Of course." Kate said
"Thank you."
I have exactly eight minutes before he reaches my office and I don't think I look fresh anymore, so I decided to fix myself up.
"Miss Hayden?" true enough, Kate came knocking on the eighth minute. I looked up and saw her face peeking through the door.
"Doctor-"
"Send him in." I said and then right away Kate opened the door, revealing Lucas.
I stood up to welcome him.
"Doctor Seo-" I said as I offered my hand and waited for Kate to leave and close the door.
"Uh-" Lucas was reaching my hand but then Kate activated the privacy feature of my glass whatevers. When the glass frosted up, I immediately wrapped Lucas in my arms.
"Miss Hayden! This isn't exactly proper decorum-" he said
"You're an hour early!" I said as I let go of him.
"It's called professionalism." He said
I motioned for him to sit down.
"Your office is pretty big."
"Yeah, it comes with the promotion." I said
"Can I-"
"Sure, look at the view, walk around." I said
"Well, I'm already looking at it."
"You'd get impressed when you see it for the first time. But I have been seeing it for a month and for me, it's nothing more than a backdrop." I said, going back to my papers.
"You can see everything from here, though." He said
He was quiet a bit after that, I really didn't know what he was doing as I was busy finishing some paperwork.
"Ara?" Lucas said
"Hmm?" I said, looking at the spot near the window where he was supposed to be standing, but he wasn't there, instead he was standing behind me.
"Oh, you scared me." I said
"Sorry, it's 5:57." He said
"What?" I said, looking at my watch.
"Can I take you out for dinner now?" He said as I faced my chair on him.
I sighed and then wrapped my arms around him, while I was still seated.
"Oh." Lucas said
"You have a tiny waist." I said
"What?" He scoffed.
"At least you can fit in my arms." I said
"Okay, we really need to go, we have a reservation at-"
"Okay." I said, letting go of him.
"To be fair, I really want you to be my girlfriend."
"What?" I said
"Only if you want me to be-"
I smiled.
"Let's go, you're driving right? I'm not calling-"
"Yeah, yeah." He said
Kate stood up as soon as we opened the door.
"Uh, go home, Kate." I said and then Lucas and I went to the lifts.
"How was your day?" I said
"The usual, clinics and rounds." He replied
"Great, you didn't see brains today?"
"Brain scans yes, the actual brain, no. Not today, my love."
I looked at him.
"What?"
He blinked.
And then the elevator door opened.
"Let's go."