Chapter 2

Chapter Two

“I think we should put off the wedding.”

Erin paused mid-stride and turned to stare at Nicky. “What?”

Nicky shifted from her perch on the sofa and met her cousin's gaze. “I think we should put off the wedding.” She repeated in hushed tones, green eyes filled with worry. “With your dad in the hospital and this thing with Ethan...”

“No!” Erin's voice was firm as she crossed the room to the sofa where her cousin sat. She grasped Nicky's shoulders and gave her a firm shake, determination glinting in her eyes. “The wedding will go on as planned. If we put it off, you can be damned sure that bastard will think he has won and I'll be damned before I let that happen.”

That was the last thing Erin wanted. For Ethan Lachlan to think that he had succeeded in throwing the family into a panic. Her jaw set as she recalled the scene at his office yesterday and once more her blood boiled at the memory of that arrogant bastard throwing those words at her. She let go of Nicky and returned to the French doors that led to the balcony and stared out through the pouring rain at the Chicago skyline.

He was such a hypocrite! She thought. If he wanted Nicky, he should have fought for her all those years ago rather than let his damned pride get in the way and then wait five years before carrying out some warped vendetta against her family. Her lips curled in derision at the thought. Ethan Lachlan was a coward, nothing more, more less.

“Why target the hotel?” Nicky moved to stand beside Erin. “Your father had nothing to do with our break up, so why is Ethan doing this. I don't understand his motives for doing this Erin, it's all so confusing.”

“He is insane, that's why.” Erin replied, her lips a thin line of displeasure. “A mad man who needs to be locked up in a padded cell and have the key thrown away. Men like Ethan Lachlan don't need a logical reason for doing the stupid things they do sometimes, it's just pure madness driving him.”

She resumed her pacing, her mind going through a million possibilities, searching for a solution to this irritating problem. One thing was certain though, she had to find a way to get those shares back even if it meant stooping to the same sleazy, underhanded level Ethan had used to acquire them in the first place.

“I should go and talk to him.” Nicky said. “I could try and reason with him somehow. What do you think?”

A memory of Ethan's insulting actions rose up in Erin's mind and she shuddered. Heaven only knew what he would do to Nicky if she went to him. She wouldn't put it past him to humiliate her cousin in the same way he had attempted to humiliate her.

“That's not a good idea Nicks.” Erin replied, raking a hand through her disheveled hair, the limp brown locks flopping over her forehead in an untidy disarray. She caught sight of her reflection in the mirror and cringed.

Crap! Erin thought, wincing once more. She looked a mess in the worn blue dressing gown over equally well-worn pajamas and fluffy pink flip flops, face bare of any form of make up and hair flying every which way. In contrast, Nicky looked perfect in tan pants and a white silk blouse, blonde hair expertly cut in a sleek bob that framed her oval face.

Right now, her cousin was scowling at her in confusion. “Why?” Nicky asked, folding her arms across her chest, her expression defiant. “I'm the one he wants to punish so I should talk to him at least.”

“Trust me Nicks, that would be a very bad idea.” Erin turned from the mirror and faced her cousin. “You know how Ethan tried to blackmail me. What makes you think he'll go any easier on you?”