Chapter 21

Erin shot a questioning look at Jared. “What's a bake sale?”

Momentarily flustered at the realization that he'd inadvertently spilled the beans, Jared cast a surprised look in Ethan's direction, brows raised in silent query. Ethan glared back, fingers gripping the edge of Erin's seat in an attempt to stop himself from wrapping those very fingers round his brother's neck and squeezing real hard. Damnit! He was never going to hear the end of this when Jared inevitably got round to telling the rest of the family. Though that particular worry would have to wait while he did some damage control before things got out of hand.

Jared leaned close to whisper to Ethan, his eyes glinting in amusement. “Uh oh! Haven't asked her yet?”

“I was going to if you'd managed to stay away long enough.” Ethan whispered back, sparing Erin a glance as she watched their exchange, a small curious frown on her face. He turned back to Jared in exasperation. “You're an idiot, you know that?”

Jared managed to look contrite for about three seconds then chuckled, clearly enjoying his brother's discomfiture. “My bad...bro.”

“Umm..could someone please explain what's going on?” Both men turned to look at Erin, who sat with an expectant look.

“Don't you have customers to attend to Jarhead?” Ethan turned to Jared, giving his sibling a meaningful look to get lost, all the while conscious of Erin's eyes on the both of them, her gaze a mixture of confusion and curiosity.

Jared returned the look with a mischievous grin, not wanting to pass up the opportunity to rile Ethan up a little. “I'm sure Diane's got things under control...”

Ethan's glare turned shades darker, mouth set in a thin line of displeasure. “Jarhead...”

“Fine...Fine..” Jared threw up both hands in mock surrender and took a step back. “I'll let you two catch up.” He turned back to Erin and took her hand, bringing it to his lips for a brief kiss. “Like I said, it's really great meeting you Erin, hope you enjoy your meal and do let me know if you need anything else.”

Despite the million questions swirling through her, Erin couldn't help but be charmed by his actions. “Thank you Jared, it was good to meet you.”

Jared patted her hand and let go, giving his brother a cheeky salute before beating a hasty retreat. “Till Saturday lil' bro.”

“Just hope you're still alive by Saturday.” Ethan shot back, his anger dissolving as fast as it had come. Much as he'd like to murder Jared for nearly ruining his perfect plan, it was hard to stay mad at any member of his family.

Alone with Erin once more, he resumed his seat, taking a moment to gather his thoughts, a small smile playing across his lips as he could almost feel the curiosity emanating from her in palpable waves.

“Sorry about that Sweetcheeks.” He murmured, reaching for his glass and taking a sip of his wine.

Erin drummed her fingers on the table and pierced him with a look. “What was that about? What did he mean by the bake sale thing?”

Ethan sighed and set down his glass, wishing now that he'd simply let his mother have her way and pair him up with her mystery woman. Certainly, that would have been a lot easier for his peace of mind than this present moment. But no, like the unthinking idiot he was, he'd gone and made things a whole lot more complicated and he had a gut feeling that this was only the beginning of his troubles.

He studied her intently, noting in dry amusement how she perched on the edge of her seat, brown eyes wide in anticipation as she waited for his answer.