Chapter 3: Tribulation

"Life will test you but remember this when you walked up to the mountain you get stronger. The more things you had been through, the more experience you will get and with that it will build you into a wonderful person as time pass. A better, stronger person than you ever were."

Carrying the bags down from her boot, Addie gazed across the house. The porch light wasn't switched on. She had always gotten used to it; coming home with a dark surrounding but now that Andrew is at home, she began to wonder. Why is it even dark? 

She pushed the door opened, setting her bags down onto the couch. Her hands reached out to press the switch but the lights did not flicker as it always used to be. This is impossible! She took a peek out and saw her neighbor's house brightly lit. 

As she walked across the halls, her sharp ears had caught the sound of something gruesome; the sound of a knife being sharpened followed by the sound of ripping skin including the trickling sound of water being poured onto the ground. She began to wonder where the sound came from. After a while, she reached towards, Andrew's room and listened carefully. True enough, the sound was from his room.

Her eyes widen. That sound. She closed her eyes recalling the sound. It was the exact sound from the phone call. Her palms reached up ready to place a knock onto the door but she stopped. 

This can never ever be Andrew. No, it can never be! Or is Andrew in danger? 

Her minds were filled with questions. Who is it? What is going on? Even in the midst of confusion, she was genuine that it would not be Andrew. Andrew had been working in the army force. How can someone who had seen so much death be involved in a murder? With only the source of light from her phone, she turned away pretending that she had heard nothing. Her face had shown nothing except for sheer calmness but deep inside her heart, there were mixed feelings, unspeakable of. Her arms reached out to grab the bag but she froze. She heard the door slowly creaked open, hearing soft footsteps stepping out. Her hair stood as she felt the cold wind from the room.

"You are back," the voice spoke similar to the ones of Andrew.

She sighed, a breath of relief knowing that it would be Andrew. She turned around to hug him but immediately stop when she saw the same figure she had seen on the way to the mall. Her eyes widen gazing right at the figure up and down. 

The face was covered with splattered blood. His hair was messed up with locks of hair dangling from his brow. A long red scar was across his left cheek. The wound was fresh as she noticed fresh red ruby blood dripping down wetting his white shirt. Addie gulped at the sight. On his left arm, he was holding a sharp knife which she had always use to cut fruits and vegetables.

"Yes, I am back. Wow, that is a wonderful cosplay theme you have there Andrew. Cut it out," she said calmly pretending that she hadn't heard all those weird noises.

"You like it?" The voice spoke in a slight grin.

Addie turned around as she picked the bags up. She nodded in response. She heard the sound of a knife cut through the air as he lifted it up. She even recognized the familiar sound of the knife being pushed close towards her direction. With her quick reflex action, she moved away watching the sharp knife pierced directly into the leather couch. 

She watched a malicious smile formed on his lips. Her eyes widen as she watched him tore off the skin on his face. Slowly, the skin was pulled off revealing only an ugly face with two long fresh red bloody scars across his left cheeks.

"Miss me?" The man asked with an ugly grin.

Addie gazed up into his eyes. Honestly, she did not remember who it was. She had never seen him before. But after a few minutes, she began to put the puzzle together and remembered.