Chapter 1: Double Whammy

"Sometimes problems don't require a solution to solve them. Instead, they require maturity to outgrow them. Problems are a one-way ticket to the future. So, do not look back to your problems. Face it and embrace your problems to create a better future for yourself."

Blue and notes scattered on the table in her living room. Her eyes squinted at those noted wondering deeply who could it be. The neighbors next door? The old lonely lady staying at the back of her house? With the ring on the eighth day and the notes following up after that, Addison knew that the person behind this would be related to the man who had passed away in the accident she had been involved in. However, the man doesn't stay around here. 

She's positive about it! 

There weren't any funerals going on around her neighborhood for the past two years. The appearance of the strange notes had made her feel so suspicious considering the fact that she received the note every day; it couldn't be someone living two or three roads away from her place. 

Who would love walking all the way just to drop a note? 

Perhaps some sort of brainless person would. Her palms reached out to take a mug of coffee, placing it between her palms which sent a warm comforting sensation to her soul. She shifted her gaze from the notes towards her favorite pine trees which were plant just right in front of the window next to the television.

"Still brooding away?" A voice boomed from behind causing Addie to jump a bit.

Staying alone for so long had made her forgotten that she had a visitor in her house. She breathed in the surrounding air with her gaze still fixated on the notes. Her elder brother who had left for five years seemed to have grown accustomed to the house since he had set foot inside. She shifted uncomfortably as she watched her brother settled himself down next to her with a mug of coffee in his hands. 

Andrew had left home for five long years, nearly six. Addison, his younger sister is all he ever had since he was fifteen. They stuck close to each other through thick and thin till recently when he had left to join the army force. Now, when he had returned and saw his sister in such a distress manner, it upsets him. His eyes shifted from his younger sister towards the blue and red notes scattered on the table. His mind lingered far to seek for an answer which he might not have.

"What are those?" He asked curiously.

Addison looked up towards her brother. She was about to give him an answer until she noticed a mug of coffee in his palms. She took another gaze up towards her elder brother, right into his eyes and laughed.

"You are drinking coffee?" Addie asked almost with a hint of curiosity and amusement.

Andrew said nothing but tilted his head with a slight nod.

"Why? Is there anything wrong?" Andrew asked. He lifted his eyebrows waiting for an answer from his younger sister.

Addie carved a smile on her lips as she pulled her favourite pillow closer to her shaking her head and spoke up.

"No. There is nothing wrong. I am just amused that you are drinking coffee. You hated coffee all these while. Maybe something in the army camp had changed you"

"Yes. It changed me. Taught me caffeine is the best thing to wake my mind up," Andrew answered and added, "Still looking for a clue?"

Addie nodded. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she took a glance through the notes again. Since Andrew had set foot into the house, Addie had informed her elder brother about the notes she had received all this while. She mentioned everything about the accident, showed him the reports, notes and even the ring she had gotten with the note on the eighth day.