Chapter 21

[Picture of Melody Connor]

When one o’clock came, I was fidgety. Not because I was nervous, but because I was seriously regretting not changing out of my sweats into something more... suitable to meet an agent in. But I’d completely lost track of time – when Nathaniel went back to work, I fell asleep in his bed. I was actually pretty embarrassed about it, but in all honesty it really was the jetlag.

Luckily, I’d woken up at half 12, so had just enough time to get something to eat before being sat where I was right now, on one of the L shaped sofas in the great room.

I was surprised but glad Nathaniel had come out of his office for this meeting, apparently he was going to be present through this as well. To say I was grateful for that would be an understatement, I had no idea what to say or do, and I felt vaguely intimidated by her already. She was one of Nathaniel’s employees for a start, and I wondered if she’d be one of those bitchy know-it-all middle aged women who were extremely good at their job at the same time. The thought made me even more uncomfortable.

Nathaniel’s hand touched the small of my back. “Stop fidgeting.” He ordered in a low voice. I looked at him and groaned.

He answered a silent call. “Yes ... Show her up.” He ended the call.

Oh no, she was here.

Argh! Why am I so nervous? I have Nathaniel here; I just had to keep telling myself that. There was a reason he wanted me to have her, I needed to trust his judgement of character. I needed to trust his choice of representatives. He knew what he was doing. I needed to stop being a quivering ball of nerves.

I watched as Jackson emerged from the upper level entry way followed by a petite figure. As she came down the stairs, I started to get a better look as she got closer. Nathaniel and I stood as she approached.

The first thing I noticed about her was that she was beautiful. She looked to be in her mid twenties, with shoulder length glossy black hair and pale blue eyes.

She was wearing a designer navy blue suit which accentuated her slim figure, and I immediately knew I should have worn something more presentable.

Nathaniel stepped forward to shake her hand, and they both smiled widely at each other. She then turned to me with the same wide smile. “Lola Rose, I’m Melody Connor.” She shook my hand, and I remembered to shake firmly.

“Melody.” I smiled. I was so glad to have skipped the formal introductions, and I realised that was all Melody’s doing. Man, this woman was good. All the intimidation was gone – I think I liked this woman already.

Nathaniel gestured for her to sit on the couch adjacent to the one we were on, and as we sat back down, to my astonishment, he took my hand in his. The breath hitched in my throat as my heart stuttered and my body glowed in reaction. But this was definitely a calming thing overall. I felt oddly relaxed the second I became accustomed to the glowing sensation spreading all over my body.

There was no denying the second shock on Melody’s face as she saw our intertwined hands before her expression smoothed out again. I couldn’t help but think it was because she’d probably never seen him do that before. Well, I hope she hadn’t. Unless she worked for him when he was with his ex fiancé...

I shook my head as if to shake those unwelcome thoughts from my mind. Ten seconds in, and I’d already made myself look like an idiot. I took a deep breath and faced Melody. I wouldn’t dare look at Nathaniel right now, who knows what expression he’d have on that perfect face of his.

Melody cleared her throat and smiled warmly at me. For some reason, I instantly felt at ease. I’d mentally told myself that in the rare chance I took a liking to this new agent, not to get so attached. Not that I didn’t trust Nathaniel’s judgements, but I was still pretty wounded about Tanya. It had only been a day since I found out what she’d been hiding from me, but I really couldn’t help my optimistic first impressions about her, and she’d only introduced herself at this point.