SidHe's Stories Chapter 1- Roses and a Thorn

SidHe's Stories

Chapter1

Roses and a Thorn

5 YEARS AGO

Lema glanced again at her and her sister’s photo in the picture frame in her room, and then stared at the man sitting in their living room with her older sister at his side, Leo. She always wondered what was the reason her sister Corazon would marry a man like him. He was young, short, fat white man and wearing a black suit. She heard their conversation Leo, Corazon and Lema's parents was heaving.    

  Her sister looked at Lema who was hiding at the old vintage door only letting out half of her body be seen. Corazon smiled at Lema, a sweet and humble smile. She invited Lema to join them. With shaking and sweaty hands, Lema walked towards them and sat beside her sister. 

That was the sweetest and last smile Lema have ever seen in her whole life.

  And that was the last time Lema saw her sister, her mother, her father and that picture frame in her room, and all around her. She became blind. 

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 A groan escaped from the lips of Lema Hudson whose alarm clock was loudly babbling again. Yes, she calls her mother her alarm clock since she always wakes Lema at the time her real alarm clock was set.  She pulled the blanket and hid her whole body underneath it. Oh, how she wished she can sleep all day and leave reality. But what can do? Awake or not, darkness is all what she can see. A cracking sound of the door entered Lema's ear and the clock rings louder.

Her mother pulled the blanket out of Lema's body, "Lema, wake up!”

 "Get up!” she added.   Lema sighed in frustration, "What?"

  "Cristian is here."  

Lema got back in her bed and covered her head with a pillow, "And?"

 "Young lady you can choose, cleaning or talking to him?"

  Lema knew what her mother wanted, to marry that man like what they did to her sister 5 years ago. She cannot imagine life with a man he do not even know, and do not love either.

Sitting beside that man will satisfy her mother and she knew it, "Okay fine."

  She got up and walked to their sitting room. She never moves hesitating because she already knew where everything is placed. It is not that hard since she was blind for how many years. She passed their kitchen her mother has left. She heard the boiling of the water and the smell of eggs and ham entered her nostrils.

She knew the TV was left opened again making it as a radio as her father wanted it. Cristian sat in the couch where he always sits.

As she walks nearer to the couch, a smooth thin hand rested at her shoulders and knew it was Cristian. 

  "Let me help you Lema. A young lady like you deserves my help."

  Deep in Lema she was hilariously laughing. She bit her lower lip to hold herself. She can imagine Cristian having the same smile since when they were child. "A smile of a clown" she whispered, she was so close to laughing.

  "Lema? Is there something you are saying?"

 Lema felt his hot breathing in front from her face. She almost burst out of laughing from what she has imagined, but thanks to her mother who interrupted, "Lema, go wash!"

   "Urg!" she groaned.

  Lema was about to go when Cristian hold her hand tightly, "No need for it Mrs. Hudson, Lema is still beautiful even if....”

  A knock on the door interrupted Cristian. Mrs. Hudson ran to open the door, "I will open it."

"I' m going to wash. It's impolite for me to seat here beside a man like you without dressing up."  

 "Please, it's okay."  

 "And PLEASE let me go." Stressing the word please would stop Cristian from nagging Lema to stay.

   Lema went to her room and instead of doing what she was supposed to do she lay in her bed, tired and bothered.

When she heard her sister was going to marry someone she taught it was Ben, her sister's boyfriend. They were together for like more than 5 years and Lema got excited and imagined her being in the same situation. She wished to be like her, but that was before. Before they told her that the man her sister will marry is the governors’ son, Leo.

  She covered her head with her pillow to hide the tears formed in her eyes. She loved her sister and she cannot accept the pain when she saw her crying at her room in the middle of the night because she need to break the one she loved and be with the man that their parents wanted her to be with. However, every time Lema ask why she was crying all she would say was, “Nothing I'm just so happy I have a sister like you.” Or, “This is nothing."

Being a child no, she was no child at that age, no longer. Lema was 10 years old, she have the mind. A mind that was enough to understand what was going on.   A tear dropped from the eyes of hopeless Lema.

 "Sister why?” she added in whisper.

Those cold nights or even in blazing heat on summer, all alone in their house her sister would make her smile; She would wear polka dot gowns that were from the circus where Ben was working and told jokes that many would not appreciate; She would crack the silence; She would cover Lema with a cozy blanket every freezing night; She remembered her saying with a blanket in her hands, "This is for you. You should use this."

  She missed her, all of her: her laugh, her sweet smile, and her jokes, her presence. Just thinking her made her fall asleep. Lema fall into deep slumber.

She woke up in dawn. Walking out of her room would just cause a riot outside for she did not washed and did not talked to Cristian though Lema accepted the fact that she would never get out of this arrange marriage except if she would found death.

A feast was happening inside of her stomach, butterfly roamed around. She got up and frustrated groaned.    Her eyes were swollen red and dry, her hair messy, and body weak.

"Lema, starve or war?” she asked herself. She could stay there sitting letting herself starve to death or went outside that room eat and live and face the wrath waiting.  Lema was thinking when the door swung opened.

  Cristian was standing in front of Lema, eyes looked at hers. He wore pajamas and hair wet. Lema could smell the scent of a rose perfume came from another person and that was so not Cristian. It is her sister, Ia.

"What do you want?"

 Ia looked at her newly painted nails, "Nothing particularly.”

   Lema could hear footsteps came near her and the same hand that touched her before rested at her lap and then a head, Cristian's head. Lema do not need to react or say something for she believed in what she read in a book, "Extraordinary things only happen to extraordinary people." And she’s no extraordinary people.

She can see herself with no a peaceful future ahead, but a rainy morning coming ahead.  

 "Cristian, please." she said with a low-tone disappointed voice and pushed Cristian away.

  "Oh, my blind sis has a boyfriend." Ia tissed Lema with a laugh but Lema used to it. She understands the space and difference of a rose like her and a blind girl like herself.  

   ”Come and have some dinner Lema." Cristian looked back with his eyes showed anger, hatred, wants, bitter eyes that Cristian never have before.    

He whispered, "You’ll be mine"