Chapter Nine

"Wait, she's waking up." 

I moved my hands up to my face, rubbing my eyes, and turning over. It took a minute for me to finally open my eyes and adjust to the scene before me. I questioned myself if I was hearing things, because I was facing a window and no one was in my view. But I realized this wasn't my room, so I jumped up. 

I caught sight of someone standing by the door with their arms folded. I wasn't exactly sure what to make of what I had seen so far, and the possible things I was assuming. I knew, the second I looked at his face, what happened last night. I recall our awkward silence, and possible anger that we had toward each other. I had left afterward, deciding to walk home alone since no one said they would. 

I remembered a shadowy figure following me. They had the speed and agillity of a cheetah. No. They were faster, much faster. Almost like the speed of light. Something that catches the eyes, but not clear enough to make out. 

Then they stood underneath the streetlights, displaying who they were. 

I jumped up, "no!" And the second I shouted, Rydel walked into the room. 

"Is everything alright?" She asked, looking at me then looking over at the figure I saw last night. The one who became my friend at school. The boy that seemed like he had so many things to hide. And he probably had way more than what I just figured out. "Ross, I think you scared her!" 

"Did I?" I wasn't sure if he was asking me or her. He had his eyes closed and eyebrow raised. He also seemed different. When I met him, he wanted to have fun and seemed more talkative. But as I was looking at him now, and especially the way he has been acting. Was I even looking at the same guy?

"Haven, are you okay?" Rydel asked, walking toward me. But I got up and put my hand in the way. 

"I'm fine, I just want to go home. Thanks." I walked by Ross, and stopped for a second to look at him. He opened one of his eyes, but didn't do anything else. I faced the floor and walked out. I heard Rocky, Riker, and Ryland yelling at the TV. But I didn't take a second to look, I was already out the door. 

I walked across the block and stood there. I didn't want to go home. I wanted to find a place where I could hide and scream. There were too many questions and he promised he'd answer them. I brought my arm in front of my face and just stared at it. "You promised," I said to myself. 

I shook my head, making my way back home since I had no where else to go. But I only walked a few blocks before I stopped. I didn't want to go home. I did lie, but I had to get away. But now that I was alone I didn't know what to do. 

I sat at the bench nearby and looked down. My dark hair enveloping my face. I wish I could just go back to the way everything was. I did want some change in my life, but this was not what I meant. No one would ever want this.

"Yes, I did." A voice said beside me. I jumped. That was something that was happening a lot. I was surprised that I didn't have a heart attack yet.

"Look, I just want you to leave me alone. And I swear if you say that you'll actually answer my questions I'm leaving." He only tilted his head to the side. 

"Okay, fine. Can you tell me what you're thinking?" He raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to give him a reply. But there were so many things on my mind. And I didn't have to share any of it, if I didn't want to.

"I'm thinking how to get away from all this," I paused for a second, "including you." It hurt to say that, but I needed to get away. Espeically now, that I knew who, I mean, what he was.

 "Haven.." He said in almost a whisper. There was some disappointment in his voice. But what did he expect? Did he think I would think this was all right and I'd hug him, and it would be all rainbows with happy flying unicorns. Then the unicorns would come and bless us with happiness and love. 

I shook my head at myself for having such a weird thought. 

 "Look I think you should just go back, and I will go back to my place." I was going to say life, because I wanted my old life back. But I didn't want to seem so rude. I got off the bench with a sigh, but I didn't make it very far. Ross grabbed my arm and stood up. "You know, you're really undecided. One minute you're like this and the next you don't want to deal with anyone. Can you make up your damn mind?!"

 He let go. 

I took a step back then competely turned around. 

"I would tell you who I am-"

"I already know what you are, Ross." I stopped, but didn't turn. "You made it very clear that you wanted me to know that night. I'm not stupid. I can put things together and find the result. And, like I said, I think it's best if we just stop seeing each other." 

"I don't want to stop seeing you." 

It pained me to do this, but I had to. I picked up a stake from my boot and threw it behind me. I heard a wincing sound, knowing it landed on his foot. "Maybe that will change your mind." 

"So, you know?" he questioned.

"No. I don't know why there are weird, random moments when I just wanna carve one of these." 

"Keep this," he threw the stake back and I caught it, without having to look. Lately, naturally, I had been gaining new tricks without learning them. It was coming all natural to me. 

That was why it was best for him to stay away, because the things I was beginning to know and feel made him look more and more like the bad guy.