[Chapter Fourteen: Percy and Padfoot.]

[Chapter 14: Percy and Padfoot]

I was first to wake up in my dormitory next morning. I lay for a moment watching dust swirl in the ray of sunlight coming through the gap in my four-posters hangings, and savoured the thought that it was Saturday. The first week of term seemed to have dragged on for ever.

Judging by the sleepy silence and the freshly minted look of that beam of sunlight, it was just after daybreak. I pulled open the curtains around my bed, got up and started to dress. The only sound apart from the distant twittering of birds was the slow, deep breathing of my fellow Gryffindors. I headed out to the common room.

The detritus of crumpled-up bits of parchment, old Gobstones, empty ingredient jars and sweet wrappers that usually covered the common room at the end of each day was gone, as were all Hermione's elf hats. Wondering vaguely how many elves had now been set free whether they wanted to be or not, I glanced over to the fireplace where Harry sat, writing on a slip of parchment. I approached quietly so I could read over his shoulder:

Dear Snuffles,

Hope you're okay, the first week back here's been terrible, I'm really glad it's the weekend.

We've got a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Umbridge. She's nearly as nice as your mum. I'm writing because that thing I wrote to you about last summer... Well, it happened to Ash in a similar way, except it had to do with her heart. It happened last night when she was doing a detention with Umbridge. It's been happening to me lately as well. Acacia doesn't want to tell anyone, but I don't want her to get hurt, and want your advice.

We're all missing our biggest friend, we hope he'll be back soon.

Please write back quickly.

Best,

Harry

The letter seemed harmless enough. I couldn't see how any outsider would know what he was talking about- or who he was talking to- just from reading this letter.

"Harry?" I asked, finally speaking up.

"Oh, Ash!" He said folding up the paper messily and stuffing it into his pocket.

"I read the letter." I said quietly, looking to the floor.

"Look, please don't be upset with me," Harry said quickly, "Like the letter says, I'm just concerned about your well being. It's not safe to keep it yourself. I couldn't stand it if you got hurt!"

"It's okay. I think you should send it. From an outsider's view, it was coy. I think the way it was worded is brilliant." I said as he began to half smile, "Let's go down to the Owlery so you can send that letter."

There were now distant sounds of movement from the dormitories above. We quickly climbed through the portrait hole and headed off for the Owlery.

"I would not go that way if I were you," said Nearly Headless Nick, drifting disconcertingly through a wall just ahead of Harry and I as we walked down the passage. "Peeves is planning an amusing joke on the next person to pass the bust of Paracelsus halfway down the corridor."

"Does it involve Paracelsus falling on top of the person's head?" asked Harry.

"Funnily enough, it does," said Nearly Headless Nick in a bored voice.

"Subtlety has never been Peeves's strong point." I sighed, strolling along with Harry.

"Right you are, Ash. Well, I'm off to try and find the Bloody Baron... he might be able to put a stop to it... see you."

"Yeah, bye," Harry and I waved. Instead of turning right, we took a left, taking a longer but safer route up to the Owlery. I noticed a grin spread widely across his face and I smiled too.