[Chapter Seventeen: Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four]

By the time I'd got home, I hadn't forgotten the note George had given me, but I waited until I was in bed that night to read it.

Acacia,

Hello dearest! I miss your pretty face. And, to be quite honest, I'm not sure why I'm writing this. Like I've already said, I just miss you a lot. I miss your laugh especially. You've been kind of withdrawn lately, which I can understand from detentions with Umbridge and all the smarmy gits giving you trouble. I don't see how you have such good restraint... (HA! Who am I kidding? You? Restraint?) Anyway! Let me get to it, then. Monday night, be in the common room at 11, sharp! Well, the 'sharp' part doesn't really matter much, I've just always wanted to say that!

Peace, love, and muggle hugs,

George

*

I felt happier for the rest of the weekend than I had all term. I spent most of Sunday helping the boys catch up with all their homework again, and although this could hardly be called fun (because let's face it, Ron is hardly an 'A' student.), the last burst of autumn sunshine persisted, so rather than sitting hunched over tables in the common room we took their work outside and lounged in the shade of a large beech tree on the edge of the lake. Hermione, who of course was up to date with all her work just as I was, brought more wool outside with her and bewitched her knitting needles so that they flashed and clicked in midair beside her, producing more hats and scarves.

Knowing we were doing something to resist Umbridge and the Ministry and that I was a key part of the rebellion, gave me a feeling of immense satisfaction. I kept reliving Saturday's meeting in my mind: all those people, coming to us to learn Defense Against the Dark Arts- knowing all those people did not think me a lying trollop, but someone to be admired, buoyed me up so much that I was still cheerful on Monday morning, despite the imminent prospect of waking up early. And possibly another run-in with that awful toad woman.

I awoke early and gathered myself up after slipping on the appropriate attire.

"C'mon, Mione. I bet the boys are already up." I urged my best friend as she glanced in the mirror one last time to fix the collar of her gray sweater.

"Coming, Ash!" She let out a frustrated breath, "You are so inconveniently pushy."

I was ready to come back with a witty reply, when I heard a familiar voice from below the stairs.

"I wonder if they know- let's go see them." Ron said, starting up the stairwell. I watched him curiously, a small smirk plastering my features. One... Two... Three...

He was on the sixth stair when there was a loud, wailing, klaxon-like sound and the steps melted together to make a long, smooth stone slide like a helter-skelter. There was a brief moment when Ron tried to keep running, arms working madly like windmills, then he toppled over backwards and shot down the newly created slide, coming to rest on his back at Harry's feet. I didn't even try to quiet the laugh that burst forth from my lips.

"Er- I don't think we're allowed in the girls' dormitories," said Harry, pulling Ron to his feet and trying not to laugh as well.

Two fourth-year girls came zooming gleefully down the stone slide past Hermione and I.

"Oooh. who tried to get upstairs?" they giggled happily, leaping to their feet and ogling Harry and Ron.

"Me," said Ron, who was still rather dishevelled. "I didn't realize that would happen. It's not fair!" he added to Harry, as the girls headed off for the portrait hole, still giggling madly. "The girls have been in our dormitory, how come we're not allowed-?"