Prologue

Prologue
She stepped out of her dad's Bug, pushing the fringes off her face walking with her head drooped, hooking her thumbs to the straps of her backpack. This was her daily gait to Never Dale High School, as a junior for the past three weeks. She's unpopular, no one knew her or cared for her existence. Her run to when she felt terribly lonely was her baby poetry book covered in crepe  paper, where she poured her emotions and feelings without condemnation from anyone. She would crush if anyone ever discovers she has a poetry book in the first place, she's supposed to mature from that wasn't she?

People hit her as she advanced to her lockers and she heard whispers from the guys around her, and she felt like running and hiding away forever from the face of the earth!

She quickened her steps, and surged within the sea of people, trying to block their voices from breaking her soul. She was so occupied in her depressing thoughts the she collided with someone face first. She raised her head in fear, she prepared herself for insults and comebacks, but -

"Hi, do I know you? I'm Natasha MacKenzie, but please call me Kenzie, and you?" a beautiful tall blue eyed girl asked softly. She was in a squad definitely and she was the kindest among the rest of the girls. They all sneered and giggled at her new top that had her favorite cartoon character imprinted on her top. She felt hot and nervous in her body and started backing away from her.

"Can't answer a simple question, wimp?" a girl who was furiously chewing gum asked.

"Candice! Can't you just be nice for once?" Natasha sternly talked to her, "Anyway... What's your name?" she encouraged.

"Ummmm... My name is Tara Lapikinsi," she managed to reply after a moment of fright.

"Tara... What a beautiful name! What grade are you in?" she asked.

"I'm a junior here," Tara shyly looked down at her shoes.

"So am I and all my friends," she happily replied, and went ahead to introduce them. Tara wanted to run away, quickly but she needed an excuse.

"I'll just go on ahead, excuse me," she said and turned swiftly to the stairs leading to her locker.

"Class isn't due to start after twenty minutes," Kenzie called.

She ignored Kenzie's call and skipped the stairs all the way to her locker. When she got the right combination for her locker she pulled it open, sighing in relief. She organised her locker, and checked her timetable, English literature, Math, history, business studies and physics was what she had today. Although she hated physics and math, she picked it coz of her course in atomic energy. Tara was enchanted by how reactions happen so she thought she follows what she loves... And at least there's least interaction with people.

***

Friday evening
The bell rang to signify the end of the last lesson of the day and the beginning of a new weekend. Everyone grabbed their bags in excitement, not even caring for what the teacher was saying about some writing competition. She stopped to listen, anything to do with writing perked up her antennae. Tara packed up her binder slowly as she absorbed all the details about the competition and smiled in excitement. At least she had something exciting for the weekend. Unlike the rest of the girls who shop till they drop, go on dates with their boyfriends and watch movies in theaters, she found satisfaction spending time alone writing, playing puzzles and watching discovery Channel, and felt insecure around people.

Tara put her bag on her shoulder and proceeded out, when everyone has left class, but the teacher called her aside. As she made her way to her desk, someone pushed her and she lost balance and fell. People around her laughed and even took some photos. Candice smirked down at her, Jason (who obviously is the hottest guy in the school) on the crook of her arm. She felt hotly embarrassed, like what did she do to the woman? Can she at least get a life?

A hand extended to her. Tara looked up and again saw Natasha the girl she ignored today. She felt so guilty and almost rejected the offer, but her bag was too heavy for her to stand up, and she wanted to escape further embarrassment. So she took her hand gladly, and gave her a smile of appreciation.

"Tara... Are you fine?" her voice wafted in the noises.

"I'm fine Natasha... Thanks," Tara quietly replied.

"OK.. Go on to the teacher, she wants to speak to you, I'll wait fo you outside class," Natasha said as she left the class, "and it's Kenzie not Natasha... Don't forget that," she smiled as she followed the rest of her friends outside class.

"Hi Tara... I hope you heard the announcement. I know you love writing and I hope you'll take this opportunity to shine with your talent. I'll be here anytime to help you with your submission. Here is the flyer for more info." Ms Greens gave her a colorful paper, "OK, run along... Enjoy your weekend Tara. "

Tara smiled at her favorite teacher and gave a little wave, "Same to you Ms Greens. "

She stepped out into the school hallway which was mostly empty and she was glad about that. Her locker was nearby and she opened it immediately to grab a few books to read for the weekend. Suddenly someone appeared from the other side. It was Kenzie. Oh heavens, why can't she leave me alone and go hang out with her squad? Why is she pestering me so much? Then Candice will think I'm stealing her for myself? These questions ran in her mind so much, she didn't realise Kenzie was talking to her.

"Tara?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you be my friend? Coz I have no friends," Kenzie asked quietly, almost muffled.

"You have many of them Kenzie... Why me?" she asked, quite shocked at the request.

"I don't even know anyone in my group, I just get popular that's all..." Kenzie replied dejected, "I just want someone to see me as Kenzie, not a rich kid," she sighed.

"Well that's good for you, coz no one cares for me and I'm OK with that. Just fit in, and enjoy the popularity while it lasts," Tara replied. She honestly wanted Kenzie to be her friend but...

"I thought you're lonely. I just want to be your friend," Kenzie pleaded.

"Are you sure? You'll get bored with me. I rarely talk," Tara tried to push her away. Out of all people in Never Dale High School, it had to be Kenzie. Why her and not a girl her type?

"Completely sure Tara. I promise to love you just the way you are." Tara looked into Kenzie's bright blue eyes and saw honesty and love. And she teared. Never in her high school life has anyone even dared to care, they just look for reason to bully, and to cause pain in their victims. But Kenzie, the popular girl wants me to be her friend?

"OK then." She shrugged in defeat.

"OK means yes?"

"Yeah... It means yes." Tara released a deep breath and felt lighter all of a sudden. And a sense of excitement around her.

"For real? Yay!" she jumped to hug her and they twirled around in the empty hallway in happiness.

The two girls just discovered their perfect match, themselves.