Chapter V

Next day
I groaned as my dad came to wake me up at 6:30am usual time. I don't even want to go back to this wretched school, where the low and defenseless are squeezed by the high and mighty. I turned to the other side of my bed and shut my eyes tightly.

"Tara! What's really happening? You and Westley have been the best friends, then last night you're literally tearing each other off with rude words. Tell me dear, what's happening!" my father beseeching asked.

"Its nothing dad,"i mumbled into my bedsheets.

"Tara, tell me the truth at this moment!"he thundered.Is he really  caring?

"Daddy... They all hate me," I whimpered after a long moment (the irony).

"Who? Who are those who hate you?" I felt his anger rising in his chest.

"Everyone! All my friends, all my classmates... Dad just take me to another school! Please!" I asked, with more tears running down my cheeks.

I looked at him and dark rage flooded his eyes. He slowly stood up shaking and said, "Get ready... We're going to school... To sort out this mess," he concluded with an air of finality, and he went off to probably his room.

"No dad,please don't do this. Things will get worse!"I cried out.

"Tara,don't provoke me. If they're disturbing you and you can't talk to the authorities then I will on your behalf!

"Dad,please don't,"I whispered.

"Tara,wake up and let's go to school. I've had enough of coaxing you to go to school everyday. At one point you'll have to stand up for yourself. Now,"he took my hand and dragged me out of bed. "Get ready for school and no buts!"he shouted as I almost fell from my bed.

The last thing I wanted was trouble, but I squeaked out to my dad who cannot be stopped by anything. Oh wow... Another long day awaiting my weary soul...

In the principal's office
" OK... We will deal with the group immediately Mr Lapinskey. This case won't arise again. Your daughter can go back to class." Mr Orona droned in his usual monotone, using his left hand to motion me to class.

"Are you sure? I hope your teachers do their work to the best of their ability. I don't want my daughter complaining again, Mr Orona," he thundered back.

"I assure you Mr Lapinskey, that nothing of the sort will happen again."

"OK darling, go to class now. No one will ever disturb you. Ever again." he whispered into my ear. I stood and look down at my dad. He doesn't know that more trouble has been created, but it's fine. I can deal with it.Or I thought so...

I waved to my dad and plastered a smile on my face, and closed the door after me.After taking a deep breath I took the stairs to first floor to my business class. I looked at the watch. Thirty minutes late. Just great. Never happened, but there's a first time for everything, I guess.

I managed to enter while the teacher was facing the board, writing in his usually illegible handwriting. Unfortunately, my seating place was right behind the horrific squad which added Kenzie back...after doing such a good job. I just felt a lot of disgust as I watched them chatting away during the lesson, then Kenzie and my eyes held contact for a few seconds. I looked away, after reading the emotion in her eyes. It was filled with so much fear but she was able to sneer.

What does that look  mean?

Should I feel bad? Nah, I shouldn't... My life must move on anyway... No one should run it anyway.

***

"Tara!" Someone called. A feminine voice to be specific.

I was just about to exit the school to the parking.I was so happy that it was the weekend.

Lo and behold.Guess who shows her face after all the horrific things she did...she even has the nerve to!

"Tara... We need to talk," Kenzie called.

"About what?"

"I'm here to forewarn you of danger. Tomorrow leave school as early as you can,please!Do you know that the whole school knows that your father came to talk to the principal?"

"Well...its good they know...anyway  who are you for me to listen to you?"

"Consider me your friend.I've done you dirty but this a good act I'm trying to show...to make up for everything I've done to you," she solemnly replied.

"Tara I don't operate in fear..let them do anything to me,even kill me,but so long as im breathing I will defend the voiceless and the bullied!Do you understand?"I hissed at her,"and by the way you did a clean job.Consider acting as your future career!"I turned to leave.

"Kenzie...let's go!" Chuckles we're heard from behind.

"Just.. Listen to me," she said as I continued walking.She sounded sincere but she did before.. I mean that's how snakes behave,polarise the enemy before striking.

Maybe I should listen to her...but who knows what she is carrying in her bag of tricks?

***

"Westley...where are you?"I called as I entered the front door.

Silence.

For the past few days we haven't been riding together to school and home,and he comes to eat when im doing my homework late in the night.It appears we are strangers living in the same house.

I first entered the kitchen his favourite place.Not there.Sitting room,nothing.Then I went upstairs to his room and found his wardrobe wide open and empty.Highly concerned,i called him to find out what trip hes gone without telling my father or me at least.His calls weren't going through.

Has Westley been kidnapped? Is this my fault...All this defending of my fellow students rights?

Where on earth is Westley?