Interlude part 2

Was my phone ringing?

My eyes popped open. I was instantly annoyed when I saw the Sun wasn't up. I hated waking up before I had to. I blindly reached out, desperate to silence the piercing noise. I felt around in the darkness and fumbled when I realized my phone wasn't where I normally put it. I finally found the damn thing and pressed the button to ignore the call. My eyes began adjusting to the dark and I realized why I hadn't been able to find my phone. 

I wasn't home.  

Memories of last night flashed in my head. 

Drew

I shot up in the bed. I turned and found where he'd slept empty. Did he leave? 

Again?

"Everything okay?"

I looked up and noticed that familiar golden-brown gaze I'd come to look forward to seeing. I involuntarily exhaled. Drew was still here. And I was unimaginably relieved. His voice, deep from sleep, was music to my ears. I resented the fear that I felt at the thought that he was gone. 

I used to make fun of girls who fell in love after sex. I promised myself long ago that I'd never be one of them. That I'd always be able to separate the emotional from the physical. Thanks to Drew, that was a promise I hadn't kept. 

My eyes adjusted to the dark and I frowned at what I saw. Drew had pants on. I spotted the rest of his clothes laid out on the edge of the bed.

"Are you leaving?" I said.

"You almost sound sad," he said, his tone teasing.

I was. "At least you're not sneaking out this time," I muttered.

He sighed. "I didn't sneak out last time either."

"Whatever you say."

"This is exactly why I didn't wake you last time. You're grumpy in the morning."

I grabbed a pillow and tossed it at his head. He caught it easily then chuckled.

"See. Grumpy,"  he said, then he kissed my pouting lips. I reveled in the feel. When I could find the will to pull myself away,  I checked the time. 

"It's 5:30," I said in disbelief.

"This is the time I normally wake up to go to the gym. We better get moving if you want me to take you home. I mean, you're welcomed to stay here, but you'll be restricted to this room once I leave and I figured you wouldn't want to stay locked up in here by yourself."

That didn't sound that bad. I could use a couple extra hours to snooze. If it came down to it, James could probably walk me out if I needed to get home before Drew got back. I was about to suggest it when my phone rang again. 

I checked the screen. It was Lindsay. 

I looked up and Drew was continuing to get dressed. I caught a glimpse of his naked chest. Smooth, thick muscles tensed and rippled with his movements. I knew, then, there was no way I was going back to sleep. I sent Lindsay to voicemail.

I crawled across the bed. "What do you say we skip class and spend the day together?" I said, surprising myself. I never skipped class. But I wanted to today. 

He looked at the rumpled bed, then back at me. "We can't," he whispered.

I frowned. "Why?"

"We have games coming up. I can't miss workouts," he said.

My phone went off again. What the hell? I glanced at the screen and my breath caught.

Perfect timing, I thought.