Chapter 30: Childhood

DYLAN'S POV.

Still @ California, Thursday Midnight. 

"Dylan, you ready?" 

"Yes mom." 

"Are you excited?"

"Yes."

@ Long Beach Airport.

Finally I would see them again. I've never been so excited. Ahh. Wait for me, Sandra & Kate! We'll be together again! After so many years of exchanging letters.. I will now be able to talk to you in person. And we'll go to college together.. 

After 12 hours of flight....

@NAIA, MNL.

"Can I go straight to Sandra's and Kate's? mom?" 

"No.  Can't you wait?" 

~

Saturday. Yes. I went to Kate's house and  I was disappointed because it seems like they've already moved out of their old house.

I headed to the nearest mall just so I can wind up..

I was strolling inside the mall up into the 3rd floor when I decided to go back down. There's nothing interesting here. 

I went straight to the elevator only to see that it's not working. Is there anybody trapped inside? Or its really just manila's shitty services?

*Ding.* And then the door opened.

Oh, God. Is this... 

"Kate?" I said softly. Is it really her? 

It took her like 30 seconds to say a single word. It's like she can't believe I'm in front of her, like she's seeing a ghost. What? Am I really that hot? 

"Dylan?" She mumbled. Still can't believe what she's seeing. 

I was about to hug her and take her away but there's something stopping me from doing it. She's the same. She always was the Kate I know. I miss you.  But why does it feel.... nothing? We were exchanging letters. She was happy and I was sending her pictures of me. What happened? She was still staring at me.

"Yes! Haha. I thought you already forgot me." I said, playing it cool.

"How can I?" She whispered. 

It's getting really awkward.. So I decided to change the topic.

"You were trapped for how long?"

"30 Minutes?" She answered. I was trying to make a conversation but she's really.. not interested.

"Wow. Kate Angeles. How are you?"  I asked. Wouldnt you say anything? Like you miss me? or anything? 

"Fine. Perfectly fine. And you?" 

"Same old. Last night lang ako nakauwi. I was with my mom." and me? we were exchanging letters and its like she doesnt even know me..

 "Oh." She said. Not caring.

Then an awkward silence filled the room again. 

"Katie" Said the guy.. that was... with her? Is this guy with her? 

"Ah -- Alex, this is Dylan. Uhm, my long lost friend." Please tell me he's not your boyfriend. please tell me he's not your boyfriend.

"'Sup?" I reached for his hand. 

"Dylan, meet Alex. My boyfriend."

"Your what?" My jaw almost dropped. 

"My boyfriend."

And then she held his hand. Wow. Look how grown up are we. Boyfriends, huh? 

"Oh, I see." I replied.

"Let's go?" the guy asked. 

"If possible.. Uhm, can I get your number? or like a coffee or something?" Okay, I was an idiot for saying that. I knew that the boyfriend was here.

"We have to go, Dylan. It was nice seeing you again." Kate replied.. still not caring about anything about me.

"I'll call you." i said. What is wrong with me?

"Bye, Dylan." she replied. 

They left and I still can't believe what happened. I didn't even see her smile. I don't understand anything. We were perfectly fine and we were FRIENDS when exchanging letters.. and honestly, I assumed she was IN to me. She never mentioned about having a boyfriend. Damn. What is going on. Feels like I'm being played. It seems like she never read any of the letters I've sent. Sunday morning, my mom woke me up really early. It was only 10. I went down to watch the television only to see Kate's step brother. What was his name again? 

"Dylan."

"Kyle?"

"Oo."

"What's up?"

"I need to talk to you about Kate."

"Why? What happened?"

"I need you to STAY AWAY from her."

"What? I came back because of her."

"I know and I don't care. Just stay away.."

"What happened to the letters?"

"I was the one writing you back."

"What? You? So she never read any of it?"

"No."

"What? I dont understand, why would you do that?"

"She knows you're dead."

"I'm-- I'm what?!"

"You're dead! We told Kate and Sara you were dead!"

"Why the f*ck would you say that!"

"We don't know what to say! They keep on crying and they keep on asking for you, everyday they would go infront of your house and call you. We just can't take it to see them like that. You left without saying a single goodbye. When we told them youre already dead, they stopped asking and they stopped searching for you. We thought youre never going to come back. So just stay away. Do it for her."

I kicked  the table and stormed out of the room. I just can't take the things I was hearing. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Okay lang ba tng chapter na to? Sorry kung mejo magulo parin. Magtanong kayo sa comments! Kung may mga tanong pa kayo.. sabihin niyo lang. AYUN. Sorry sa grammatical errors and everything.. for the lame english. Haha. Give me feedbacks! Comment kung pangit o maganda! So I know where to stand and what to do! Suggest din kayo ng mga gusto niyong mangyari.. :) Thanks parin sa support! and happy 3k! hehe. >:D< Sana someday maging happy 3M. Hahaha. Feeler. Haha. Sana keep on voting & commenting! :)