CHAPTER FIVE

A/N: Um, this story is getting a little dry here. I apologize. I'm trying to spice it up a bit... but I'm failing.

Dedicated to @im-professional- for the support they have given this story!

They'd scoured the Lost Cities for at least a week. No sign of Linh. Tam's frustration was building up to the point of explosion.

"Where else can she be?" he shouted, kicking a tree so hard it shook. Biana didn't even flinch; she only looked him in the eye.

"Tam, calm down. We'll find her, I promise," Fitz told him.

Tears welled up in Tam's eyes and he furiously dashed them away.

"How can you promise?" he yelled, too emotional to care that he'd literally just cried in front of everyone. "How? How do you know that I'll ever see her again?"

"Because we know you, Tam," Biana answered firmly. "And we know you'll never give up."

Tam stared into her teal eyes, breathing hard, hands quivering. Finally, he dropped to the grassy ground, exhausted.

"Maybe she isn't in the Lost Cities."

Sophie's voice was so quiet, Tam almost thought she'd transmitted. He glanced up at her, confused.

"What do you mean?" Dex asked.

"I mean, she could be...somewhere else," Sophie mumbled, looking at her shoes. "Never mind. It was stupid--"

"No." Tam looked pleadingly to her. "Say it."

Sophie took a deep breath, closing her eyes. "Maybe she's in a Forbidden city."

Tam blinked in surprise.

"Wait--you mean, like, a human city?" Biana marvelled. "What would Linh be doing there?"

"See, I told you it was stupid," Sophie grumbled, glaring at the ground.

"No," Tam interjected. "No, it's not stupid. When it comes to Linh, nothing is stupid."

"I can't believe I'm agreeing with Bangs Boy, but yeah," Keefe added. "It's practically the only place we haven't checked."

"Well, suddenly it seemed a lot more improbable," Tam remarked under his breath.

"That's all great, but...how are we supposed to get there?" Dex pointed out. "I mean--"

"Mr. Forkle," Sophie answered, and it was settled. They were going to the Forbidden Cities to look for Linh.

Tam half wondered if he was going mad.

A/N: That was so terrible...