Chapter 6

‘S-Sorry.’ I mumbled.

‘Who do you think you are and what the fuck do you think you’re doing?’ she screamed. I stared at her, gobsmacked. I had heard of Kelsey losing her temper many times before and now I understood why I wished upon my lucky stars that I wouldn’t be victim to her verbal (and occasionally) physical assaults.

‘I was just…Bathroom...?’ I said, staring dumbly at the stall I had just come out of.

‘Bullshit. You just followed us in here to interrupt again.’ She accused.

‘Again?’ Ethan echoed.

‘Yeah! The other day this bitch walked in on me and Tyler.’ She fumed.

‘Actually, you were in my house, and that was my brother. Excuse me for not knowing that he was with somebody. I just got home from work,’ my eyes involuntarily darted to a speechless Ethan, ‘and I wanted somebody to talk to about my day at work.’ I snapped.

‘He doesn’t care about your day at work! Get in through your thick head that the world doesn’t revolve around you!’

‘You don’t even know me! You don’t know Tyler either because he actually does care!’ I shouted back.

‘You and I both know that’s not true. I know Tyler better then you ever will! He doesn’t care for you.’ She shot back. I took a daring step toward her, ignoring everything around me.

‘You don’t know anything about Tyler. He’s all I have in this world. It doesn’t matter what you do or say, he is my twin brother. He does care for me and even if I don’t approve, he’s allowed to sleep with whomever he wants. I just don’t appreciate coming home and seeing what I saw! It is my house so I do get to have an opinion on what goes on in it.

And for your information, I definitely did not come in here to rain on your parade. If you want to spend your high school life skipping class and having sex in bathrooms then go ahead, but some of us have more important things to worry about in life. If you had any sense at all, you would have already seen me in here, cleaning myself up from the stupid prank your boy toy pulled on me!’ I fumed.

She stared at me in shock and a sense of pride washed through me. I glanced back at Ethan who was standing there lacking of any expression whatsoever. My attention returned to Kelsey just in time to see her hand slap my cheek.

‘What the fuck Kelsey!’ Ethan yelled, yanking her backward. I lifted my hand to my cheek and rubbed it scornfully.

‘Consider yourself lucky that that didn’t hurt.’ I sneered before leaving the bathroom. At this point, I didn’t even care that I was skipping class. This was officially the worst day I had had in a while. Deciding to jig class, I headed for the bleachers.

There was not a soul to be seen as I seated myself at the very top of the bleachers. Instead of facing the field like I was supposed to, I propped myself up on the railing at the top allowing my feet to dangle over the edge.

It was a fairly warm day, the sky a wonderful blue and the sun, a mellow yellow with no clouds to cover its shine. I peered out across the Colorado landscape. It never ceased to amaze me how beautiful my state was. There was something about the rock formations that lined almost every landscape that was indefinitely beautiful.

It wasn’t abnormal for me to spend my time here. I wasn’t part of any clubs or teams because of commitments outside of school so in my free time, I would find myself up here.

‘It’s quite a scene isn’t it?’ a voice echoed behind me. I let out a terribly girly shriek of surprise, almost falling off the bleachers in the process but an arm steadied me. I pressed my hand against my heart gasping for breath. Turning up, I found myself staring into the beautiful ocean blue eyes that had become so familiar to me.

I glanced back at the horizon. ‘Yeah.’ I murmured bashfully. He jumped over the rails, easily seating himself beside me.

‘Are you okay?’ he asked. I glanced at him, surprised by the sincerity in his voice.

‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ I responded lightly.

‘Show us.’ I shook my head.

‘I’m fine, really.’ I grumbled. Suddenly, my head was in his grasp and I was staring into his mesmerising eyes. They left mine and examined my face.

‘She got you in the same place as I did.’ He said, a hint of amusement in his voice. I rolled my eyes, pulling my head away from him.

‘That says something doesn’t it.’ I joked and he grumbled to himself.

‘We’ll get you home and put some ice on it.’ He said. I couldn’t help the butterflies that fluttered in my stomach at his caring tone.

‘It’s fine Carter. I’m used to it.’ I shrugged. His eyes narrowed.

‘What do you mean you’re used to it?’ he asked, his tone low. ‘Who does this to you?’

‘Don’t worry.’ I mumbled, looking out across the horizon.

‘Is it Tyler?’ he asked. I snapped my head toward him.

‘What?! No!’ I cried. How could he even think Tyler could do that? He pursed his lips. ‘No. He didn’t! He wouldn’t ever.’

‘Promise?’

‘Promise.’ I said, nodded my head.

‘Then who?’ he asked, his eyes set on mine. I didn’t reply. ‘Who does that to you Rosie?’ he asked, moving closer to me. I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath, not wanting to cry.

‘No one.’

‘But you said someone did that to you…?’ Confusion laced his voiced.

‘Past tense.’ I commented.

‘Oh. Well who did that to you?’ he asked. I tried to stop the internal warming at his concerned tone but it was almost impossible. I hadn’t told anyone before, not even Paige. I doubt Tyler had told anyone either. I couldn’t tell Ethan. I couldn’t…

Sucking in a deep breath, I succumbed to my internal conflict. ‘My dad.’ I whispered. I glanced up at Ethan and saw anger in his eyes.

‘Where is he? Why haven’t you told the police?!’ he asked, jumping up. Tears welled in my eyes.

‘I have. He’s in gaol.’