Chapter 5

I guess I half expected Ethan to drive home without me on Wednesday afternoon after the bell signalling school had ended went. That’s why I was surprised to see Ethan diligently waiting by his car. Admittedly, he was talking to a blonde that I recognised to be the girl I had caught hooking up with Tyler the day before yesterday, but he was there nonetheless.

I nervously approached the two, tugging at the hem of my plaid shirt. When Ethan saw me, he nodded his head in acknowledgement. I sent him a small wave, unsure of what to do. I wasn’t exactly the best of friends with him, so this was a little weird. The blonde girl talking to him turned around, her eyes catching mine.

‘Do I know you?’ she asked in a sickly sweet tone, a fake smile on her face. I briefly turned to Ethan and he smirked at me. Turning back to the bimbo, I didn’t bother putting on a fake smile. What was the point in faking emotions?

‘Yeah. I’m Tyler’s sister.’ She gasped.

‘Really? I never would have known!’ she said, her eyes trailing down my body. ‘Not that you’re unattractive or anything.’ She said quickly. I rolled my eyes at her attempt to insult me.

‘Yeah whatever.’ I said, swinging my bag over my shoulder and looking at Ethan expectantly. He was watching me carefully as though he could read me in a way no one else could. ‘You ready to go?’ I asked and he nodded slowly.

‘Wait, you’re going home with her?’ she asked, a scowl on my face. Saving Ethan an explanation, I spun around.

‘What’s your name?’ I demanded.

‘Kelsey.’ She replied, flipping her blonde hair over her back.

‘Right. Kelsey. I’d appreciate it if you didn’t act as if I was a piece of trash. I’m not. I’d also appreciate it if I don’t come home to see you in a compromising position with my brother.’ I snapped. ‘Let’s go Carter.’ I demanded, not sparing him a glance. I walked around to the passenger door and jumped in.

We sat in silence for a few moments, neither one of us speaking a word as I glared out the window fuming. ‘That was pretty impressive.’ Ethan broke the silence. I glanced over at him. He wasn’t looking at me, but rather out the front window.

‘How so?’ I asked in confusion. His gaze met mine.

‘I’ve never seen someone go off at Kelsey. You did a good job.’ He said with a final nod, before pulling out of the car park. I stared at him in confusion for a few moments before returning my gaze to the windshield screen. Ethan was so confusing.

‘Do you sleep with her?’ I asked after a few moments, immediately regretting my choice in question. What do I care? He glanced at me hesitantly.

‘I have…’ he replied unsurely.

‘Ew.’ I responded. He chuckled out loud.

‘She’s a handful, but she’s good in bed.’