Chapter 31

Here is the next chapter!!! Switching it up and going into Kansas' point of view. 

Hope you all enjoy!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kansas POV

I still can't believe all the things that Braxton said at our counseling appointment. I really think he's changed. Maybe I should have kicked him out sooner. He must have really realized what he's about to lose. I was serious when I said that I can't take it much longer.

The phone call with my parents yesterday went better than expected. They seem to be a little more at ease after I told them that Braxton was staying at a hotel for the week. My dad really hates him. I can't really blame him. He just wants what's best for me. I hate that they worry about me so much.

My phone rings and I look at the screen and it shows that Mark is calling me. I didn't see him at work today. He was stuck in surgery. I was kind of thankful for that. I haven't talked to him since that... night. I answer the phone before it goes to voicemail. "Hello?"

"Hey," he says shyly. "How are you?"

"I'm fine. I didn't see you at all today. How are you?"

"Tired. Yeah, about that. I was going to stop in your office today but then an emergency came in. I didn't foresee the surgery lasting as long as it did. The guy was a real mess."

"I heard. Maybe it was best that we didn't see each other at work today."

"Why do you say that?" he asks confused.

"Considering I haven't seen or talked to you since Saturday, I don't know if work would be the best place to talk about what happened."

"To ease your mind a bit, I never would have brought it up at work. I think what happened is something that should be discussed in private."

"To tell you the truth... I was nervous about seeing you anyways."

"You shouldn't be. I know you enjoyed it as much as I did."

I don't respond right away. I'm not gonna lie... sleeping with Mark was amazing. But it just makes things with him so much more complicated. "Kansas? You still there?" I hear him ask.

"Yeah. Sorry. Look... It's complicated. Braxton can never find out that we slept together. It was a one-time thing and it can never happen again."

"I for one would never tell Braxton about what happened only because I know he would lose his shit and take it out on you."

I shudder at the thought of what Braxton would do if he found out that Mark and I slept together. He damn near wanted to kill him for just sitting on the couch next to me. "I appreciate that. If our marriage is going to work he can never know."