Chapter 30

Meg holds my gaze through the door – dark eyes glittering. I don't look away. My heart thuds hard in my chest. And something else builds in there too – a storm, raging within my ribcage.

The Furies want to torture me for information.

Yet I think they have information about me that I want, too.

It confuses me. Because there's a part of me....

There's part of me that is not afraid. There's a part of me that wants to be alone with them. There's a part of me that thinks I could fight them; beat them if I had to.

I grit my teeth.

They want to torture me? Try it...

But that's insane. They're literal goddesses of vengeance.

And yet...

Meg smiles then steps back. I watch her and her sisters as they walk down the corridor - Tis's eyes lingering on me for a minute.

As soon as they disappear from sight, I turn to the rest of the clinical cell we're trapped in – heart thudding hard against my chest; through fear, or something else, I'm not sure.

Cal stands stiffly by the padded white wall – jaw clenched, slender fingers tapping against his beige pants. He catches my eye momentarily, but I can feel Cupid watching me.

I glance over at him and our gazes lock instantly. Something burns behind his irises – something wild and hot and dangerous; something that warms my blood despite the coldness I've felt since we arrived here. His chest moves up and down quickly beneath his blue shirt, unbuttoned at the collar.

Then, in a split second he crosses the linoleum floor, stopping inches before me. He takes my cheeks in his hands, despite his wrists being bound by chain, and wrenches my face to his. I have to grab the cotton of his top to steady myself - clenching my fingers around the material, my knuckles brushing his torso – as he claims my mouth with his.

I breathe in sharply – caught off guard; his tongue overwhelming my mouth, and his lips, hard as they move against mine.

And then I kiss him back. His taste floods my mouth. His scent consumes me.

And everything is pushed violently away – the fear, the anger, my temporary insanity, the Furies, the fight between me and Cupid earlier. It's just me and him. And his mouth, hot and urgent against mine. And my pulse racing beneath my skin.

And then Cal, tsking, in the corner of the room.

It jolts me back into the clinical cell – breathing hard. Cupid pulls back, forehead leaning against mine, his hot breaths tickling my face.

"I'm so sorry." There's a slight plea in his voice. "I'm so sorry, Lila. I've put you in danger. We shouldn't have brought you here."

My bound hands still cling to his shirt.