Chapter XVIII: What Doctor Ordered

Velvet looked at Laphicet, who fell asleep on Avernus, drooling. She turned her attention to the man himself. His face was peaceful, and to her, it seemed that he had a slight smile. She was annoyed because lately, whenever they looked at each other, Avernus was smiling more than usual. Constant flirting and teasing didn't help with what truly was going on in Velvet's mind.

Velvet thought that she didn't deserve his attention or any of the romantic advances he made upon her. Those were meant for a normal girl, not a vengeful killer. Her thoughts and mind were solely focused on killing Artorius, but Avernus was too distracting. To her, no one was stupider than him.

"He's naïve and wrong. I don't need unnecessary emotional entanglement." She spoke callously and looked at the silvered-haired Malak,

"And nothing can get in the way of my revenge. Especially not him ."

Velvet expected to see Tia disappointed. But the malak slowly smiled and nodded favourably.

"So, you choose vengeance, then?"

Velvet turned to Avernus once again and paused before giving her final answer. She remembered the one thing that she despised most was Avernus's considerate attitude. Tabatha said that he went through hell and back to find her. Avernus threw himself at battleships, daemons, exorcists, Artorius, and even her hunger for blood to keep her safe. Nevertheless, he was there again, wounded and battered on a bed because he wanted to protect a bunch of daemons and pirates. There was no place for his bravery and sacrifices.

"Do I need to repeat myself to you?" Velvet said.

"No, Velvet. That was all I needed to hear. But I have a request. Tell him before his feelings sprout more roots."

Velvet turned to Tia. She didn't know why the malak was interested at all. "Why is this matter remotely important to you?"

Tia's smile faded. She moved closer to the door and fully opened it, leaning against the door frame. "Avernus walks a dangerous path, a thin line between darkness and light. Aside from all the humans that I met, he is the most peculiar one."

"Why is that?" asked Velvet.

Tia went to the bed and sat beside Avernus. She raised a brow at Velvet. "I thought all you cared about was your revenge?"

Velvet pressed her lips together and stood silent. Tia was right. Velvet was too interested, and she was giving herself away.

"Anyway, I told you enough. Knowing the rest is meaningless, Velvet." Tia closed her eyes, and her body glowed bright blue. She levitated elegantly and mimicked Avernus's sleep position, sluggishly sank within his body. Laphicet suddenly woke up and whipped his head. Velvet came to his side and patted him on his shoulder, then both of them exited the room.

Velvet walked outside with Laphicet trailing behind him. The crew's voices could be heard coming from the outside as they were getting ready for departure. Van Eltia moderately shook, signalling that it had already begun to leave the harbour. They saw Kurogane talking with Rokurou as they were examining the Dreamshadow, swinging it left and right.

"So, you're saying that this thing is formed from the body of a malak?" The headless Kurogane asked with his echoing voice.

"That's what both of them claimed," Rokurou grunted as he felt the weapon's unusual weight. "This feels heavy... very heavy. How he can move-"

Velvet quickly cut Kurogane short, "Hey! What do you want with Avernus's staff?!"

Rokurou raised a brow at Velvet's defensive tone. "Nothing, just wondering why this thing is so heavy."