Chapter 5

Finally the end of the week arrived and Friday was here.  Mark had texted me last night asking about Lucy's party.  I really wanted to go with him so I told him I was going.  He's going to pick me up at seven o'clock, and I can't wait.

I'm sitting in Study Hall wishing time would fly when I feel something drop on my desk.  I look around and see a kid named Simon walk away.  I look back to my desk and see a scrunched up paper.  I open it up to see it's a note, from Jake.

Hey Crystal,

Are you going to that party tonight?  If not, wanna hang out?  I'd love to spend some time with you outside of school.  Let me know ok?

-Jake

Um what?  Are we in sixth grade again?  And did he actually have the note delivered for him?  Wow.  

I liked Jake but something about him was making me uncomfortable.  He seemed to be a little possesive of me and I couldn't understand why.  I'd barely met him four days ago, that certainly wasn't enough time to really get to know someone to the point it seems he thinks we should be at.  But maybe I'm overreacting.  I tell myself I am.

The school day is finally over and I gather my stuff from my locker to take home.  Molly is once again talking to herself as she is making sure she too has everything she needs.  I sense someone approaching and turn to see Jake headed my way.  I smile a little but also feel my guard go up.  Something tells me he's not going to like hearing that I am going to Lucy's party.

"Hey Crystal.  Did you get my note?"

"Hey yeah, I did.  That was interesting in how it was delivered.  Anyway, I actually am going to the party tonight.  I told Mark last night.  Sorry."  I gave him my best sympathetic smile as I shut my locker.  I turned to him and saw his jaw set in a hard line.

I looked down toward Molly and saw she was talking to Lucy, the party hostess for tonight.  Hopefully she was being invited to go.  "Let's get together another time though Jake.  Being new it would be good for you to meet lots of people."  The thought to invite him to Lucy's party crossed my mind but I wasn't in the mood to deal with him tonight.

"Sure okay.  Well maybe we can do something tomorrow?"

"Maybe.  Give me a text and I'll see what's going on ok?"

He seemed to think that over and then nodded.  "Okay, I will.  See ya."  I watched as he walked away and felt bad.  I should have invited him to the party.  Why was I feeling so apprehensive about him?  He really hasn't done anything bad.  As I start to call out for him, Mark suddenly appears from behind and covers my eyes.

"Guess who?"

I smile as I pretend not to know.

"Um, Grant Sanders?"

"Guess again."

"Okay, Scott Jones?" I smile as I deliberately guess wrong.  I feel Marks hands squeeze a little harder around my eyes as he says, "Ugh no, guess again."

"Okay let me think...could it be Mark?"  I grin as I say that and feel Mark's hands move away from my eyes as they turn me around to face him.

"Yes, it's Mark.  Your date for the party tonight.  I'm so glad you decided to go."

My heart melts a little at his words and I smile.  "I'm excited to go, and my date is a pretty sweet bonus too."

Mark grins, takes my hand, and starts leading me down the hall toward the exit.  We pass Molly and Lucy and Mark tells them we'll see them tonight.  Molly gives me the look that tells me she is dying at Mark holding my hand and I give her a wink.  

As we get outside and head for the parking lot, I see Jake walking towards his car.  I stall for a second and hope he doesn't see us.  Mark looks at me with a questioning look and I just smile and shrug.  We continue to walk to my car and just as I think we're home free, I see Jake looking over at me.  I decide to not care and give him a little wave.  Mark looks over to who I'm waving at and sees Jake looking at us.

"That guy seems a bit weird Crystal.  There's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way."

"Don't worry about him Mark.  He's new, we just don't know him yet."  I was trying to convince Mark just as much as myself.  "I'm sure he's fine."

After Mark tells me he'll see me at seven and gives me a hug, I get in my car and start it up.  As I'm about to put it in reverse, I hear my text go off.  I grab my phone to see who it's from.  The name Jake appears and I groan.  No Crystal, I tell myself, it's okay.  He's okay.  I open my phone to read his text:

I just got a text from Lucy inviting me to her party tonight.  Can't wait to see you.  

What?  I didn't even know Lucy knew him let alone had his phone number.  Well that's good though, it means he's talking to more than just me and Molly.  This is a good thing, I keep trying to tell myself.  Everything will be just fine.

********************************************************

Authors Note:

What are your thoughts so far?  Has Jake done anything, yet, to make her feel this way?

What do you think of Mark?

As usual, please comment and vote.  

xoxo